demolition lovers

One of my clearest memories is the day we died. Our last day as mortals, as living people, the ones that need the oxygen to live, those that have a beating heart, those that feel the emotions i now crave.

It was sudden. Our death wasn't meant to be like that, the way we died was something we will never forget, not because we died but because it happened in the only way we never wanted it to happen. An accident and fire.

She was scared of fire, I was scared of car accidents. I never learnt how to drive for the same reason, and I was always hesitant to go somewhere in a car, except for the day of our death. I think I've never felt so happy to go around in a car, but I was with her, we were meant to leave our small hometown together, and we were happy in the old car we stole from her grandparents, with the stuff we took with us to our new home.

But we didn't make it far. The town that saw us grow was small and desolate, there was nothing around it, nothing but miles of forest surrounding the highway. It would take around forty-five minutes to reach the next town north, and an hour for the next town south. We decided it was best to go south, there was a beach and it was a big city and we had found part-time jobs there, there was a school we liked, and a small and cheap place we could rest, at least for the time it took to settle in the foreign city.

The day was rainy, fog was covering the road, making it hard to see the cars coming, not that there were any; at least not for a good while.

We were on the road for about thirty-seven minutes, we had gone through a quarter of our playlist, the one that had all of our favourite songs. We were so happy; I felt like everything was amazing. we were enjoying ourselves, our new life.

The rain wasn't as hard as it was before, very few droplets were falling on the windshield, and that's when it felt like everything happened in a second. I saw the bright lights of a truck right in front of us, I had no time to react. The next thing I know is the blinding pain I felt after the many turns the car had after the hit, we were still on the wet highway. My first reaction was to look for her, and it felt like I was living my worst nightmare. First, one of my biggest fears happened, that was traumatic enough, and then, I saw her lying there, completely covered in her own blood, unconscious.

As I try to get her back, I see a small light in the front of the car. amazing, how worse could it get? Then I realised we were still in the car, so I tried my best to get us both out of there, even if it took my last breath, she had to get out of that car, and fast.

In the midst of getting out of the car, she woke up once again, and I have never felt so grateful to see her eyes, those that bring me peace and can make everything right in just a second.

Once we were out of our damned car, we laid on the wet highway there, silent. That's when exhaustion finally fell over my body, I could only reach for her bloody hand and turn my head to look at her eyes for the peace I needed.

But it wasn't done, the small light became enormous in a second, it reached my legs and it travelled along my body, reaching hers. We screamed in agony for a moment, the feeling of the fire unbearable against our body. I couldn't let her hand go, even with the harsh movements as we tried to get the fire off ourselves.

It wasn't long before we felt the coldness of death embrace us, the darkness that comes with it feeling refreshing after the blinding light of the fire.

It was reassuring to know I was going to see her once again, even if it wasn't as living people, mortals that need oxygen and feel the emotions I now crave.