Chapter 1

16 Years later:

"Jiya, where did you keep my certificate file?" I screamed at my best friend.

I rummaged through a bunch of documents which turned out to be Jiya's reports on 'Kienböck's disease'. She was studying pre-med but was more into the reasearch of the eradicated diseases.

"Gosh, Ave you are 20 years-old, and i am a year younger and still have to be your locator for all the petty things" That was the response i got in an equally high tone but not as harsh as mine.

Jiya came out the dorm room we both shared and handed me my file. "There, was under the mattress, god knows why"

"Thank you so much Gi, you know i love you. Bye!" I said before putting my sneakers on.

"Seriously, my four letter name seems so long to you that you had to reduce it to 2?" she said as she opened the door for me.

"Of course it does, bye" I said, placing a peck on her cheek.

"Break a leg! not literally. Don't say anything mean please, you need this" she said with heavy concern in her eyes. I gave her a nod and swirled on my flats and headed straight to the exit of the 'Rio Towers' where we resided.

I hopped on the tram and sat with a coffee in my hand placing my shoulder sling and my file in my lap. I always thought Jiya as the only person in my life except Aunt Mauve who had sent me here to Westbrook to study English Lit. My aunt Mauve resembled her name, her hair had a tint of purple in it but enough to highlight her hair in a crowd. She had big round eyes with the softest smile. She was a lady with a lean figure and her hair touching her back just above her waist. She was beautiful.

I wanted to pay her back for all that she did for me she was my mother and my father both, as i never really knew my real ones. Aunt Mauve says that she also doesn't know the reason of why they disappeared leaving me on her doorstep in the middle of the night. But i know she knows something because i feel them. I felt i was close to my mother and father, i sometimes have dreams about them but they don't have a face in my dreams, there is no picture i have of them, no memory, it sometimes feels that my memory belonging to my parents and my home is wiped along with the first four or five years of my life. I don't have anything of my parents except their name which were Celeste & Marcel Becker and a ring which belonged to my mother. Aunt Mauve insists that i keep it on so i do.

I was turning the ring on my hand touching it's beautiful intricate designs. I knew I will find my parents one day but right now Aunt Mauve doesn't want me to so i won't. I have been a burden enough, she doesn't have any kids and have always treated me like her own, which is why i have to get this job, i have to make it for her and Jiya the only two people who mattered to me.

I rushed towards the 'Chestburry Towers' afraid of not making it in time. "Sorry, Coming through. Pardon me" i spoke as i hit a thousand shoulders on the way.
As i turned behind to see if all of them were okay, I smashes my forehead into a chest as it appeared. I gulped and looked up to find a face already glaring down at me with annoyance in his eyes as i looked in confusion and separated myself with him just to see i had smashed my coffee into his black shirt which by the looks of it was expensive. Great work Ave, just what you needed today.

"I'm so sorry- ", I was cut by his hand over my arm which caught me by surprise as i scrunched my nose in a hint of pain.

"Sweetheart, you gonna pay for this?" he said, sarcasm reeking from his tone. I mean i could if i wanted to my Aunt was well-off and it appears that my parents sent her the money every now and then or atleast that is what she says. I don't beleive her ofc, but i am not gonna take a penny from my aunt for this petty situation.

"You are hurting me mister, get your hands off me right this instant" I said with a confident tone but it came out as a whine which made him only grip my arm with more force.

"Or what?" that was all he said and expected me to answer but i couldn't, i mean i couldn't really do anything to him. He was tall, like very tall with a muscular physique which made his clothes hug his body tighter. With that thought going on in my brain, i didn't realise what my facial muscles were doing, i caught myself staring into his eyes. They were the most beautiful shade of chocolate brown with a very light shade of grey mixed which couldn't be noticed if you didn't look closely. Hence, we were too close but before i could shake his hand off me, he let go of my arm with a smirk pasted all over his face almost as if he also caught me staring. He did.

"That's what i thought besides you are lucky i have an important meeting to attend to than to waste my time on people like you who just appear out of nowhere to ruin other's day." . He said replying to my silence.

I shrugged in frustration and stompoed my feet on the ground which made me realise why i was there at the first place, "Shit, the interview" I cursed under my breath as i rushed towards the stairs.