Prologue

The wind is blowing slowly, quietly, but just enough to make the boards creek ever so slightly. It is peaceful, lovely, a beautiful silence that isn't quite silent. It is still a pitch black void outside, so I don't know why I have awakened, but I feel restless. Not in a bad way for I feel very calm. My love next to me has also awakened. Even in our old age she still looks as beautiful as she was the day we met. I could never love her any less than I did when we confessed our love. We've been through a lot together. No other woman could ever take her place, I wouldn't have it any other way. Besides, I made a promise long ago to someone else I loved very much. The two loves of my life. The one laying in bed next to me and the one I made my promise to. The one that had to leave me because she cared so much for me. I feel a slight tingle as I look into my lovers eyes. They shine with love and something else... What is it? Then it hits me. Why else would we suddenly be awakened in the dead of night at our age? It must be time. Now that I'm aware of the circumstances I begin to feel lighter and lighter by the minute. She must've realized it while I was deep in thought. I grab her hand and give it a kiss and begin rubbing it with my thumb to keep her calm. But she doesn't look frightened instead she looks peaceful. We've lived a full, wonderful, and hearty life and it seems our time on Earth is nearing the end. But I'm not afraid for I'm with the woman I love and will leave this world holding her hand. We look into each other's eyes. "I love you, so so much my darling, and I'll love you no less after death for it won't do us part" I speak and mean every word. "I love you too my dear, and I will keep loving you for eternity." The background begins to become blindingly white. I stay focused on her eyes and tighten my grip on her hand as suddenly the surroundings fade away and the light becomes startlingly dark. As this is happening she begins to change in appearance, becoming younger and younger until she looks like the age she was when I confessed my love to her. I feel certain the same has happened to me as well. I begin to feel very warm as does her hand. It feels... Comforting. Suddenly there is a light off in the distance, there is something standing within the light. This must be our guide to the other side, but I can't shake the feeling that I've met this "being" before. We begin walking towards the light and the mysterious person, and with every step I take, I am flooded with memories of my life, all the good and the bad. The emotion is overwhelming as it all comes flooding back into my head and my heart. My heart shatters within me and my vision blurs. Then everything is dark, terrifyingly dark and unnervingly quiet...