CHAPTER 4

The first thing I decided to do was to find a easy way to London. After a few minutes thinking, I realised that, even though that they weren't working, I could follow them and, it is possible that I could even drive them. So, having decided on what I was going to do, I made my way to the nearest 'metro' station. And then it struck me I wouldn't need to make it all the way to London, I could just find the man who wrote the diary. He would be company and then both of us could make our way to the bunker in London. But I would still need to get to the 'metro station'. Then I thought that if that man was sane, which he properly wasn't, he would make for London too. "Naaaaaar!" It was them again. Of course some people had stayed in the underground. But of course radiation had reached them too. I looked at my pistol and realised it was empty. The only thing I could do was to run. I jumped into the nearby train and remembered that these trains ran by their own electricity. It then registered in my mind what I could do. I could drive the train. Quickly, I sat down on a seat and turned the engine on. Then, slowly, urged the train forward. It was a bit rickety owing to the fact that it has not been touched for 20 years. I moved a lever upwards that increased speed. And soon I was speeding through tunnels. Thinking that I had outrun them, I turned round to see behind me and was surprised to see another train heading straight for me. I increased speed once again. But they were still after me. My heart beating madly, I turned around to face the controls and concentrated on the race in hand.

After about five minutes, I was searching for a turn off. The train's computer had all the technology needed to search and switch points. I saw that a small siding was coming up, after a sharp corner. It was simple. All I need do was to go behind the turn and turn into the siding. The other train wouldn't see me turn. Wasting no time I went past the turn and turned into the siding. My heart raced as I heard the other train rush past my hiding place. Phee! I was safe.