II

The crest of the Baratheons proudly fluttered in front of the Red Keep. Even if Catalina had always thought her father was a good-for-nothing, he had always done honor to this crest.

Ours is the fury, the motto of her house. In the past, she had been proud to belong to this house, but her brother clearly destroyed this pride.

He stood there like a madman, his crossbow drawn. His target was Sansa kneeling on the floor. She whimpered and cried as she swayed back and forth, begging her king for mercy.
Catalina stood just a few feet away on a small rise and watched this fuss from afar. She couldn't believe he was actually considering firing that crossbow. Especially when the girl hadn't even done anything wrong yet.

"It really is a horrible sight isn't it?"

Catalina wheeled around and recognized the familiar face of Lord Varys, who had appeared beside her. "How many times have I told you that I don't like being sneaked up on, my lord?" she inquired rather flippantly, rather than answering his question. She would not get involved in that, not with Varys. For she did not trust the eunuch even a little bit over the way.

"I apologize profusely, it was not in my interest to scare you away." His voice was so calm, seemed so trustworthy. Probably it was because of that very fact that everyone kept falling for him and his little spies.
"Say, I heard your brother told you to keep an eye on Lady Sansa and now he's threatening to kill her and send her to her brother. That must have really angered you, didn't it?" It was a really lovely attempt, the way Varys was trying to get something out of her. Catalina couldn't help but chuckle in amusement. "My dear Lord Varys, you misunderstand. I don't care what happens to the Stark girl or what my brother does to her. Let him kill her and send her to her brother, I shall not care."

It was a bitter lie, because she did care what happened to her. Even if it was more out of self-interest that she wanted Joffrey to leave poor Sansa alone. For they were already in a war anyway, he should not fuel the anger of the northerners even further.

"A pity really, but your eyes betray you." As quickly as Varys had come, just as quickly he had disappeared. A scary fellow he was, and Catalina didn't seem to think very highly of him. But quickly her attention turned back to her brother and the now standing Sansa.

"Ser Meryn." The dark-haired man stepped forward, nodding once to his king. This man would do anything Joffrey told him to do, no matter how morally terrible it was. He had that inscrutable look on his face, the corners of his mouth always pulled down, his eyebrows pinched together. Catalina hardly knew anyone who looked more serious than this man from the Kingsguard.

„Leave her face." Joffrey's words were harsh, but one could hear the slightly amused undertone in his voice if one listened closely.
Catalina saw Sansa's aghast face, she saw the panic in her eyes, her breathing went a little faster, even faltered a little now and then. But not only she was shocked by the king's words, Catalina herself was too. What her brother was ordering there, it was cruel.

„I like her pretty."

As soon as Ser Meryn turned his attention to the red-haired Stark girl, he began to carry out his king's orders. First he punched her in the stomach, which made Sansa whimper softly. She stumbled back a few steps while the dark-haired one drew his sword and struck her with it, causing her to fall to the ground.
The group of nobles that had gathered around the poor girl, like a pack of hungry animals that had cornered their prey, gave only a shocked gasp at this display. No one moved a finger, no one said or did anything, they all just watched.

Catalina was no better. She stood rooted to the side, staring at Sansa, who was being put through the wringer by Meryn. Her sobs grew louder, but the worst part was seeing the wide grin on Joffrey's lips.