Episode 2

"Girl get up, all you do is sleep. GET UP. You ain't even bathe, eat breakfast, nothing! I know that thing down there reeks. Look at the time, 1:25 pm,  you not shame? Don't raise any bottom for me. You think you are funny?

*laughter*

"GEDDUP JAMIE!"

"Wake up Jamie! Girl stop playing with me please," I slowly open my eyes to see the blurry image that clears into my best friend Zyra. Her image comes into view, dark skin, curvy hips, and long waist-length locs. Zyra has been my best friend since High School and both grew up in the Caribbean. She is like my sister and like a second mother to Jasher. She knows me more than myself, well at least parts of myself I choose to forget. We have fought tough times together and we have been there for each other's best and worst. She's also the best treasure I have taken back with me from home. That annoying wrench, now I am stuck with her.

"Aunty not so rough! You can give her a heart attack!" Jasher says running up to me. Just seeing her come into my view reminds me of what took place yesterday. I am sorry but I am trying.

"Nah, she will be fine your mother is not dying now I know that for sure. Although she's a dusty old bat," she looks at me in annoyance. "Oh, Father please take me," I exhale. The only reason I wish to stay here is for my daughter. The world has nothing else to offer. "You can't leave me here, I have no friends," well...her too. She really would not have anyone after. Although she is a loudmouth she is very anti-social. A shell you have to crack.

"You know at your old age you need to take your blood pressure. You like to take on too much stuff," she says frustratingly. "Jashy go bring some of the soup downstairs for me hunny," she watches Jasher rush off then looks back at me in a frown. "I thought those episodes were over, we have been over this," she says checking my fever.

"I have, Zyra and I just got into an argument and the tension with sound just caused a trigger," I cover my face thinking about the past argument with my daughter again.

"She is her own person, Jamie. You cannot control everything,"

"I just want her to be happy-"

"But you are not-"

"But!... I don't want her to be heartbroken" I sigh calming down with an inhale.

Zyra comes up more on the bed and places me in her chest. "Girl leave that for your husband," I said shifting away in annoyance. "He needs to learn to share!" pulling me back in tightly, caressing my temple. Zyra decided to take something back with her from home which is fair because I have as well. Xavier, average height, strongly built, and a decent man. He stuck to her word to provide for her and be by her side forever. I admire him for that, every woman's dream...

"I love you so much," she whispers. "Well, I don't love your annoying ass," I roll my eyes as she pinches my in my hip, I jump giggling then relax back into her arms.

I do love her, I love her very much. It's rare to find a genuine friend that will last forever. She helped me raise Jasher and contributed to multiple aspects. It's very hard being a single parent. I always told myself that I will never be like my mother but here I am, her. I don't want Jasher to be like me, but nature can't help but do its work. It scares me so much I fear that she might eventually walk in my footsteps. I am trying in my might to not let that happen, it can't.

A coconut tree will never bare mangoes.

I have hidden so much from her that I have to keep going. I fear that if I share my past she will she will only want to justify particular actions. Yes, she will only know half her mother but it will only make her half of me. Sadly as the years unfold it can't help but show me that Jasher is Jamie secret or not. I don't want her to be Jamie even if she wants to be, I want her to be Jasher. Jamie made mistakes and similar mistakes have similar outcomes. Can't let that happen.