6

Chapter 6

POV Olivia

Maya sat in the middle of the backseat, which let me lay my head on her chest, the next best option since I couldn't sit on her lap. It really was cold outside, and in the car that had stood outside the station. All the running I did last night must kept me warm then, thankfully. Maya must have noticed how I shivered, because she lifted the blanket, that had fallen around my hips, so it covered my shoulders again, before wrapping her arm around me. I nuzzled my face into her neck, the warm skin comforting me.

The car stopped after about 10 minutes, and I heard both Carina and Maya unbuckle and open the car doors. When Maya pulled away from me, I immediately followed her out of the car, reattaching to her side when she reached her hand out for me. We walked quietly up 4 flights of stairs, Carina holding my backpack, me holding Teddy, and Maya holding my hand. We stopped in front of a door with the number '7' on it, and Carina opened it. When we entered, both of them took their shoes off, and I did the same.

"Do you want a quick tour sweetheart?" Maya asked, rubbing my arm.

I just nodded, following them around as they pointed to the different rooms. It was a really nice apartment, not as big as my old house, but I didn't mind. In fact, I sort of liked it. My house was made for a family, but I never had one. Me and my dad were not enough to fill it, and as he was rarely there anyway, it always felt empty, cold and lifeless. It had always reminded me of what I never had and how lonely I was. But this, this felt like a home, an apartment so filled with love it might explode.

"This is our bedroom, Bella. You can come get us in here anytime, okay? Day or night" Carina said, pointing into a room with a large bed.

I nodded and smiled, a little overwhelmed. Maya led me further down the short hallway to a door across from their room. She opened it, revealing another large bed. It was pretty plain, but still cozy, I figured it served as a guest room.

"This is your room, sweetheart. I'm sorry the bed it so big, you might drown in it" Maya said, making both me and Carina laugh.

She was right, though. It was a regular double bed, but with the fluffy cover and decorative pillows, I looked tiny next to it. There was a light pat on my back, Maya encouraging me to go in. I went and sat on the bed, both of them sitting down beside me. I leaned on Carina's side, feeling her comb my hair with her fingers.

"What do you want to do, Bella?" She asked, making me shrug as I really had no idea.

"How about you take a nice, warm shower? You've been out in the cold too much. Then we can all take a nap. I know it's morning you slept on and off, but you still look tired. Plus, me and Carina have been up all night" Maya suggested, making me nod.

We got up and Maya showed me to the guest bathroom and gave me a towel.

"Will you be alright?" She asked nervously when everything was set up.

"Umm... could- could you stay outside the door?" I asked, looking down to hide my embarrassment.

I should be able to shower alone, but knowing Maya or Carina were close just made me feel so safe. I couldn't help it, but Maya just nodded, kissed my forehead, and told me she would be right outside.

"Wait!" I said, making her turn around.

I held Teddy out for her, realizing I couldn't take him in the shower. He basically hadn't left my grasp in 3 days, but having my real firefighter close, I felt like I could survive without him for a few minutes.

"I will take very good care of him, I promise" Maya said while walking out, making me laugh again.

As I stepped under the hot water, I realized how much I needed it. I hadn't showered in days. Obviously, I could have at the foster home, but it was always so noisy I used to hide in my room as much as I could.