part one: my birthday

The exact day. My birthday, a monday. The day my entire county learned that we were going into quarantine. Happy 13th, me! I was glad to be out of school for two weeks. I could rest, finally. I would surely miss my friends, but I would be fine.

I was simply sitting in science. My favorite class period. I was crushing on the person who sat on my other side. I had one of my best friends in that period, too. I was sitting around doing fuck all, probably on coolmath games, My sketchbook laid open on my desk, pencils and pens sorted carefully by the colors I needed to draw and color my characters. (Thinking about it, that's the last time I can remember loving making characters.)

I sat at my desk, enjoying my well earned free time, passively absorbing the conversations around me. I remember hearing people talking about that thing, thinking "oh I heard of...
the coronavirus..? I heard it's pretty bad. I think we should probably do something to prevent it from infecting the whole school."

I sat, forgetting to pay any attention to my game of run, my poor alien in a loop of dying over and over. I was thinking of how good my music is. Pondering over how I always broke my wired headphones. I would always walk into science, blasting my beloved music directly after lunch. When suddenly, interruption.

My science teacher, Mrs veggie (obviously not a real name) calls out to us, "The county board told us not to say anything to y'all, but we're probably about to do a two week quarantine for coronavirus."

Panic.

Chaos.

There I sit, minding my business. I had just turned 13! My present was a glorious two week break? Thank you, mother nature.
Little did I know, no.
Little did anyone know-

The deaths. The gruesome nature. Oh, death. Nothing explains how it feels to be thankful for a break, when the very thing that caused it caused millions of deaths.

Oh how stupid we were. We were children, but oh the stupidity!