20

Navigating through the depths of the ocean, Galine's journey towards the light felt like an eternity. Despite the immense pressure, she persevered, her tail propelling her forward with great force. As she approached the light, the temperature dropped drastically, as if she were in her cove. It struck her as strange, as she had never felt that cold under the water. Soon, she found herself enclosed by rocky walls. Gradually, the light grew brighter, illuminating a cavern that appeared to be adorned like a lair.

As she scanned the cavern, she hoped to catch sight of something unusual. The voice that had been calling out to her seemed to have ceased, but she was certain it had originated from within the cave. Even with her thorough search, she failed to find anyone in the dim light. She peered into the shadows, hoping to find movement, but was met with pitch darkness. Too afraid to investigate the unknown, she continued to peruse the cavern.

With fear of using her voice, Galine's curiosity overpowered her. She silently struggled to propel herself through the thick water, scanning the shelves illuminated by the dim light. On the shelves, small, colourful shapes resided, shimmering in a familiar way. As she picked one up, an unpleasant shudder ran down her spine as the realisation dawned on her, causing her to quickly return it to its resting place.

"Mermaid scales..." she whispered to herself.

"Who's there?" a quiet voice echoed off the cave wall.

Galine gasped and spun around in fear, frantically searching for something to hide behind. Her eyes were fixed on the entrance of the cave, anticipating the arrival of something or someone. However, to her surprise, no one appeared. Gradually, it dawned on her that the voice had emanated from a shadow nearby.

"Is someone there?" she asked quietly.

"Who are you?" a distressed voice bounced off the cave wall once more.

"Where are you?" Galine asked back, searching the darkness until her hand hit against a tough, steel-like surface, causing a sting in her wrist.

"Hello?" the voice grew clearer and louder.

"Are you the one who's been calling to me?" she asked, her fingers slipping between two bars.

The voice paused for a short moment. "Galine?" it whispered breathily.

"Who are you?" she whimpered. "I must know. How do you know my name? Why have you been calling to me?"

As Galine's fingers glided along the bars, they encountered the hand of the voice's origin. In that moment, she experienced a sensation akin to being electrocuted, yet it was accompanied by a comforting warmth. There was a sense of familiarity that she couldn't quite grasp.

Abruptly, a luminous beam pierced through the darkness, casting a brilliant glow upon Galine and the cell. The radiance revealed the features and physique of the detainee within. Galine gazed into the eyes of the merman before her, and to her astonishment, she recognised the eyes staring back at her, as if they were her own. The face of the captive was familiar, for she had encountered it previously, but now it was weathered and emaciated from years of confinement. Galine's eyes widened with a mixture of shock and elation as she comprehended the truth.

"Father?" she whispered breathlessly. "You're alive?"

King Iro admired his daughter, affectionately touching her cheek as he revelled in her transformation. "Galine... how you've grown."

Galine reached upward, taking her father's hand. "What...? I thought you were dead."

"Merina cursed you," he explained. "She pretended to kill me and captured me. My own power was too much for me to handle. She put a curse on me so I couldn't contact anyone through telepathy. I think the curse is wearing out."