Chapter 10

10.

The Gods cursed Thalia for not putting on her invisibility spell soon enough. She was spotted by a pair of guards who went outside to share a quick hit of Greenleaf. Each of them held one of her arms as a third guard came and relayed Sir Theodore's orders to take her to the stables.

"What are you doing in that outfit, silly girl, trying to break into the party?" one said as he tugged the young girl's arms.

"I've heard about a suit like this, it's a stealth suit, a tool of the Thieves Guild," the other said.

"The guild, you're crazy, she's a child. Probably just a silly costume. So, what did you intend to steal? Some silverware, some noble's coin purse?"

Thalia stayed silent. Half to avoid incriminating herself, and a half because she hadn't thought of an excuse yet.

"I don't know, this material feels very well made, I think it might be a legitimate article," the one on the left said.

"Well, little girl, if you knew anything, you would know that they don't keep any artifacts valuable enough to be worth stealing in the castle. The Wizards keep the real treasures north from here in the Academy, lest you thought you could find Lady Dema's jewelry, or maybe be you'd be so bold to try and grab the crown right off her head," they laughed.

"Where are you taking me?" she said, feeling the grip of the men on her arms. She had no way to escape. Would they really throw a little girl in a jail cell? That's all she was, just a stupid little girl. Damn her uncle Emerson's praises of her so-called skill. It was just as she kept telling Donner, her abilities were nothing more than just foolish party tricks.

"We're taking you to the stables, Sir Theodore wants to keep you from ruining the party," he said.

The stables stunk as one would expect. One of the guards took a bind from his belt and tied Thalia's wrist to one of the wood pillars. "After the party, we'll let Sir Theodore decide what to with you, lucky for you he's the compassionate probably just a slap on the wrist, maybe he'll tell your parents on you." He said as the other two finished their smoke break at the entrance to the stables.

"Maybe we'll let you spend the night here, going to be a pleasant sleep, round all this horse shit," he laughed.

"Let her go!" a young voice called out. One that carried a brashness and command of a Knight well beyond the years of its source.

Thalia looked up. No, it couldn't be. You damn fool, get out of here. She thought as she looked up to see Donner, standing proud in his black and red cloak in front of three full-grown castle guards.

"What are you doing here? Weren't you at the party?" the Guard watching Thalia approached Donner, followed by the other two as one tossed aside his smoke, and the other rested his hand on the sword hanging on his belt.

Donner took a deep and nervous breath, resting a hand on his own sword. Was he about to draw swords against castle guards?

"Donner, stay out of this!" Thalia called out to him.

"Quiet thief," the lead guard said over his shoulder as he approached Donner. Feeling brash and ready to scare this boy off, he drew his sword. In response, Donner raised his arm and pulling the grip on his wrist, opening his shield around his forearm. Donner drew his sword and got in a defensive position.

"Please, just let her go, she hasn't done anything, I know she hasn't," Donner said, panic in his voice as he took a brave step forward, "Thalia tell them, what are you doing out here?" he asked.

"Donner, I'm sorry, please just go, it's okay," she pleaded, caring more about Donner getting hurt then her own safety.

"I remember hearing about you at the party, some kid thinks he's a Knight just because he caught Theodore's eye doing some chores." The two guards on either side of the middle one drew their swords.