farm

Sara: Hello, my friends.

Mother: Are you still talking to yourself?

Sara: Yes.

Mother: Okay, go ahead.

Sara turns to us: The question for the damn writer is why am I dirty... Do you know, I believe that prayers can change fate. If you wrote my death... and I was just an ordinary person... I would first pray not to die in a dream because it's hard to die twice. I am Sara, and I have decided to change the course of my life by screaming.

Mother: Karlin, lower your voice.

Sara laughs wickedly, remembers her mother in the same situation, and starts to recall that she wasn't there when her father passed away.

Sara's father died from overworking.

Certainly, it was a tough experience for my mother at a young age.

Anston: I have news.

Mother eagerly looking in the farm: They accepted you, Anston? (While wearing farming clothes)

Anston: Yes.

Mother hugs and kisses him: Oh Anston, I believed you could do it... (Holding his hands) You are a brave son. She takes out an envelope with money from her pocket and says: This is all the money I have left... (With pity in her eyes) I hope it's enough.

Anston, understanding the difficulty of the situation, opens the envelope and looks: Yes, it's enough.

Mother collapses to her knees: Oh thank God, I thought it wouldn't be enough. Then quickly gets up, apologizes to Sara, and hugs her: Sorry, it's the only money I have left after your father's passing... (Pointing at Anston) And now your brother won't be taking care of the farm because he will be studying for the knight soldiers' exam... I will make it up to you, Karlin.

Sara: But... (Looking away at Anston) He is seven years older than me, and I want him by my side. He is the only one I trust.

Sara falls silent, looks at them, and her voice changes, making them feel a different aura as if it is gnawing at her bones. She looks at them: No, I may be a child, but believe me, I have gone through a lot and loss, and I won't let...

She goes to Anston, holds his hand, looks into his eyes, then turns her face and walks away, looking at her mother: Goodbye, Mom, I will talk to you later.

The mother is surprised and feels that Sara hasn't moved on from her loss.

The next day, early in the morning, Sara explains the situation to Anston, claiming she can see the future and speaks out of her role as a child: Don't come back until I am 14 years old.

Anston: But I will be 21 years old.

Sara: I don't know why he didn't suspect me and why a five-year-old girl is talking to him like this without explanation.

Sara: Is this a promise between us?

Anston nods, cuts his hand, and it bleeds: This is a blood promise and it's a man's promise.

Sara imitates him and screams...

Sara opens her eyes: Am I dreaming? I will find out now.

Anston screams: Karlin, nooo.

The blood flows... then the wound disappears with the blood.

Sara, with the second blink, the blood and her brother's scream disappear. She doesn't know what is happening and sees Anston again, not screaming.

Sara: What is happening, by the Creator of the sky?

They return home, and he starts packing his bags. The mother puts a necklace on him and a pendant on Sara.

Mother: I have given you the most important trust. Now it's your turn.

Sara begins to feel strange as if she sees a blurred woman hugging her and a vague man calling her: Karlin.

Mother interrupts: Karlin?

Sara, snapping out of it: Yes? What?

Mother: Come to dinner. Tomorrow you will take care of the farm because your brother is leaving.

Sara: But I am a child...

She begins to remember how her mother endured everything in her past life. She looks at her mother in the manhwa with a broken heart: As you wish, Mom.

Mother feels sad: Karlin, I am sorry. I can't go to the farm and the market. I know you are a child and I should take care of you, but I have to feed you and I am sorry I didn't provide money for your education.

She looks at her and then goes to her room. At the door, Sara says: Thank you, Mom, I will do what you want.

She goes to her room, removes her pendant, holds it, looks at the shabby ceiling with tears, and remembers her mother herself.

Mother, I miss you. I want to come back to you... I can't forgive myself and live in this world... I am not supposed to be a character that doesn't exist.

Then she falls asleep with tears in her eyes and says out loud: I miss you, Mom.

Her mother hears her: Oh my God, she misses her mother, in shock.

Early in the morning, the mother notices the change in Karlin's behavior, talking to herself: She is not her usual self. Since the incident of his death, she has become mature, refuses food, eats little, I saw her bathing in the river, asking people for work, getting beaten by them... but she doesn't give up. Now she is sleeping under the tree. I will get her tea or a pie, hoping she will feel better because I will go to the market later. I will leave her a note, knowing she won't read it, but I hope someone will read it to her.

Sara wakes up and sees the farm: I have finished the negative energy, I must keep my promise to myself...

She examines the farm: Hmm... (Pointing) We have fruits and vegetables, and potatoes...

She looks from her place and turns around: Wow, the farm is big, but I have a lot of work...

She rolls up her sleeves: My aunt used to love farming before...

I will use the tricks you taught me.

She starts removing the dead crops, plowing the land, planting seeds, bringing river water, and watering all the crops until night falls.

Mother, sitting and waiting for Sara: Finally, you are back, Karlin. I was so worried about you.

She hugs her.

Sara smiles at her mother: I finished with the farm and bathed in the river.

Mother: Did you read the letter?

Sara: Oh yes, someone read it to me.

In her head: Your handwriting is unclear, hard to read, so I gave it to the baker to read it.

Mother: Oh, okay. Come on, let's have dinner and then sleep.