Story 1 - Loveless

Elizabeth stood in front of the mirror, taking herself in. The dress, a hand-me down, was a soft cream color against her dark skin. The jewels were dull and un-polished, but still she smiled. Today, finally, she was to be free of this place, she was going to start a new life with a loving man.It was all she had ever dreamed of, and today! Today she couldn't have been happier.

Her father burst through the door, not even bothering to knock. His can tapping painfully loud on the floorboards causing her to flinch.

"Is she ready?" His tone uncaring, he didn't even look at her. Only concerned with if his possession was in good condition to be sold off. She didn't let it spoil her mood.

The servants attending her, flailed about, adding the finishing touches and placing a head piece in her raven hair before attaching a veil, letting it fall over her face. She was finally ready for her wedding.

He took hold of her arm and forcibly pulled her from the room. "Don't stuff this up! I have a lot of money riding on this marriage."

"Yes father." She nodded, keeping her voice low. Best she not upset him, today of all days.

He hurriedly led her to the main hall. Everyone was waiting, watching, she couldn't help but feel shy and self-conscious, the butterflies were alive in her stomach. She could see from behind her veil, many of the noble women smirking and whispering to each other, as usual, making her some kind of spectacle. Ignoring them, she fixed her gaze on the man that was soon to be her husband, Prince Rafael.

Her father gave her away at the altar, and in mere minutes she was married. It was like a dream come true. Rafael lifted her veil and they shared their first kiss. She blushed profusely as he whispered in her ear that it was to be the first of many.

Everything from that day happened in a complete blur, time flew by and before she knew it, the sun was setting, they departed for his castle. In the carriage she thought of the fateful day that made all this a reality.

She had been a teenager when she had snuck out. She had been kept a secret by her father, having been a child born to a mistress of the duke. She hated it at the palace, she was never allowed out of her room. Only ever to appear as gathering, but dressed a as maid, her father never wanted her to be seen as his daughter. She was simply going kept, ready to be used as a bargaining chip for the household's name when she came of age.

She'd heard the rumors of a witch in town that could grant wishes, she'd found herself in a rundown building far from her home, a hooded woman sitting across from her.

"What is it you wish for, child?"

"I... I wish to be married off to a family that loves me, one that will care for me. So I never have to return to Dukedom again." She was desperate for a way out.

"Requests today have been languishing." The witch sighed. "Are you prepared to pay the price that is needed to obtain this love that you so desire?"

"Anything! I will do anything." She didn't hesitate.

"Very well, on the day you are happiest, the price will be paid." The witch dully said.

The very next day she started receiving letters from Prince Rafael. They wrote to each other countless times over the years. She knew it had to be the witch's doing, there was no other way for Rafael to know about her. Then on her 18th Birthday a letter had come, but not addressed to her, instead it was for her father. It asked for permission to marry her. Rafael was the 17th prince in line for the throne, there was no chance of him becoming king, but for her father it was a blessing in disguise. Or rather an opportunity to gain wealth beyond his wildest dreams, much to her delight, he took it.