ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

"Kali-"

"Kali-"

"No, Embry. You listen to me," she snaps, pointing at him and walking over. "What the hell is wrong with you? I have not heard anything from you in weeks! You could've been dead for all I knew! No one was giving me any answers, but now I'm sick of it! I'm sick of nobody trusting me enough to give me so much as a hint as to why my best friend suddenly up and left! I don't like being demanding, but I hate being left in the dark about this! You promised me that you wouldn't leave! Do you know how much of an arse that makes you?"

"Kali, please-"

"No! You don't get to talk until I've finished. I get that you might have needed time or something, but you could've at least told me! God forbid you to give me a bloody text! Like, 'Hey, you remember when I snapped at you for doing absolutely nothing? Well, that was the end of our friendship.'"

Embry looked guilty as she started what had been ringing around her head since they last saw each other. He knew that this was all true, and it was breaking him apart that he couldn't tell her what had happened because all he wanted was for her to hold him and tell him it would be okay.

"I'm sorry if our relationship meant nothing to you; that's your opinion, and you are entitled to that. But it meant the world to me. I don't understand why nobody is telling me what is happening; I just want to make sure you're okay! Is it so hard to believe that I wanted to know if my best friend was still alive?"

Tears were welling up in her eyes as she paced in front of the pack. Her small body starts to shake, and her heart is racing. Embry flashed his eyes at Sam, who turned back into the house, going unnoticed by Kali.

"How was it so easy for you to cut me out of your life? After everything! But do you know what the worst part is?" She pointed at his chest, stomping up to him and looking into his eyes. "I don't care. You completely ruined the trust I gave you when you knew full well how difficult that was for me, but I still miss you."

Her bottom lip starts to quiver, and she swipes her sleeves over her eyes, harshly wiping away the stray tears that were caught on her eyelashes.

"I hate that Jacob and Quil have gone sour about you; I hate that I still make up excuses for you, and I hate that no one will tell me why you left. Everyone left. Why does-" her breathing get sharp. "-why does everybody leave me?"

She starts to sob and holds her head in her hands. Tears begin to fall on her red cheeks, and her knees begin to wobble.

Embry slides down to meet her when everything falls out from underneath her.

All of the walls she had built up in the last month had come crashing down, paved by an avalanche of grief and frustration. Her anger was pushed away and replaced by an overwhelming guilt for warding away her friends. Sobs wracked through her body, shaking her frame and ruining her balance. She crumbles to the floor, being held up by Embry. Her back was leaning on his hard chest, and her arms were lying limp by her sides. Her legs were folded up underneath her, and her head was laid on his shoulder. He held onto her tight, too afraid that if he let go, she would blow away in the wind. One of his arms was around her torso, holding her secure to his chest, and the other was holding her face.