Chapter 21

A/N: We don't own the franchises represented herein. Please review!

Chapter 21

Sisko walked to the brig where Odo sat placidly in his humanoid form. He strode up to the softly humming force field and said, "You've turned her into a Founder."

Odo snapped his head up and looked inquisitively at Sisko. "I beg your pardon?"

"Kira is becoming a changeling. The goo you put in her is overwriting her DNA, somehow."

"That's impossible," Odo argued. "I simply gave her some of my substance so she could heal."

"Well that's not what is happening, Constable."

"Captain, I assure you that I had no intention of turning Kira into an outcast like myself."

"How can I know that that's true?"

Odo glared at the captain for a long moment, until Sisko started to realize what was going on.

"She's more to you than just a friend, isn't she?"

The changeling stood and waved off such a suggestion. "Don't be ridiculous." He turned and started pacing in the confines of the cell. "How could I love a solid?"

Sisko considered for a moment, then motioned for the security guard to turn off the force field. He stepped inside the cell and up to Odo. "You'd better be careful, Constable. Statements like that will get you in trouble. A 'solid' might take offense.

"You may not believe it, but your behavior right now is completely the same as any 'solid' in love. I know. I've been there."

Odo turned and stared at Sisko's face, trying to read what was there. He then looked at the cell's entrance, with the field still deactivated. He turned an inquisitive look at the captain, who gestured toward the entrance.

Odo nodded, "Very well."

They stepped out of the brig, and Sisko told the guard to stand down as they left.

Cardassia Prime...

Merlin had been present on Cardassia Prime since the talk with Oberoth. Che'Ryl had joined him, and they had maintained the illusion of being Cardassian to all but Sheppard, Teyla, Todd, and Jardis.

The appearance that they assumed was one of an old couple, living off of meager sustenance, so it would not be expected of them that they work for a living. In this way, they could easily do what they liked, without anyone being the wiser. An old man or woman hobbling through the marketplace would not attract any undue attention, especially if they were to appear to beg for alms. Merlin had sat on the ground in the same place for two weeks now, waiting. Oberoth had not returned, but then, he hadn't really expected him to. Several people had taken up the Asuran's cause, but Teyla had been able to outthink them in front of the crowd.

She finished making another young man look like a fool when he started calling for a crowd, and as she turned away, she gave Merlin a sly wink. He smiled broadly at her in return. He had thoroughly enjoyed the show. Suddenly, however, he received a mental communication from The First. He saw that Teyla had obviously sensed it too.

"It is time," was all that the message said.

Teyla paused, but to cover her actions, she turned and walked back to the old begger. She reached into her bag and pulled out a few coins and handed them to him. As she bent down, she quietly asked, "Did you hear it?"

"Thank you, young lady, for your generosity," Merlin told her, then quietly, "Yes, I did. I suspect that the others did as well. Meet at our home later. Bring us some stew as cover."