Adèle

[Music : Married Life - Michael Giacchino]

— Have you got that right? No more than 10 liters a day. Or the Renewal may hunt you down. 

— Yes. Thank you very much, Adèle. See you next time!

Mr Planquiet waved to the young lady as she made her way back to her car. Before opening the door, she waved back. Mr Planquiet was really very kind. Like the twenty or so farmers in the hamlet, he was struggling to maintain his crops. But Adèle wasn't giving up hope. She came to their aid every day, giving them advice and techniques to save their precious resources, while trying to produce the finest legumes in the region. When she sat down, she saw Pépin join his master. Mr Planquiet bent down and caressed his head before taking the little puppy in his arms. As Mrs Planquiet had recently died, there were not many people left for this brave farmer. But Pépin seemed to want to give him love for two. So much so that, to forget his grief, Mr Planquiet would walk him around the village several times a day. The iconic duo were almost known as the village emblem, so inseparable were they. 

Adèle turned on the radio. She gradually lost her smile as she turned on her little electric car. Journalists were reporting the number of new deaths from the various waves of viruses that were sweeping the world. No region was spared. Mrs Planquiet was proof of that. But she had to live with it. Adèle had also lost a lot of people. But it was necessary to move on. So, ever the optimist, Adèle slapped her cheeks with her palms. With difficulty, she stretched out her lips to reform that smile that was so characteristic of her. Without further delay, she took to the road again. 

Without hurrying, she passed through the small village of Fourniols. She had been living here for two years now. After more than five years battling against the big agricultural conglomerates in the offices of the Paris ministries, she had finally given up hope. She wanted to take more concrete action to save the small farmers she was so keen to defend. So she gave up everything to come to Fourniols, and put all her knowledge at the service of the surrounding plants and forests. She lost her job, her executive salary, her flat and even some friends... but never once did she regret her choice.  As she made her way down the main street, the people of Fourniols waved and smiled at her. They were all so grateful for her help. All the kindness, altruism and love she had found in this village was worth more to her than all the money in the world.

She was frequently invited to the restaurant by a farmer for a drink. Nothing inappropriate. Simply to thank her for her help. It bothered her. Seeing her associates spend their limited money to buy her a beer or a glass of wine. But not one of them had ever agreed to let her pay them back. And often, carried away by the laughter and the songs, everyone ended up drinking happily with them. Although many young men had fallen in love with Adèle, she had only set her sights on one of them. He was rather shy and clumsy. He was one of the first farmers she had met. Her parents had just died of an incurable lung infection. Saddened, she had spent several days helping him to get his farm back on its feet, and had not left his side since. His name was Paul. 

Just as she was about to stop to chat with Mrs Jacov, the radio in her car switched itself on. All the radios and televisions in the area did the same.

- 'We are the Renewal! Now is the time to atone...'

Seconds later, panic spread through the town. Adèle felt tears running down her cheeks. Everyone was running in every direction. Children were crying. Old people were falling over in a hurry. The young woman bit her lip. She wanted to take them all with her, to get them to safety. But she knew that was impossible. She set off again and made her way through the alleyways. When she arrived home, Paul was already waiting for her outside the barn. He had prepared everything. When she got out of the car, her cheeks covered in tears, he took her in his arms. Slowly, they entered the barn, saying goodbye to Fourniols.