Max

Max slumped heavily onto the sofa in the villa. He let out a long sigh, looking up at the ornate ceiling and the enormous swimming pool on the outside terrace. The property was in the hills  

above Cassis. The view of the Mediterranean sea was majestic.

— What a bastard. I hope you enjoyed it.

He turned his head towards the still warm corpse of the billionaire lying on the carpet. Just then, Antoine entered the room.

— Nothing interesting. Just another nutcase who's prepared very well for our purge. But apart from that, no list of other contacts.

— Damn.

As Antoine opened the French window, Max stood up and wiped his bloody knife on the white curtains.

— Don't feel any remorse, he had it coming, said Antoine.

— I don't have any remorse.

On the floor lay Brandon Hasler. One of the many billionaires who took advantage of ecological disasters to enrich themselves by privatising air of the highest quality. All over the world, his factories were running at full speed, producing clean air while destroying the atmosphere.

— And we're the ones being called terrorists.

— Why don't you turn on the radio? I want to take my mind off things. They're playing music from the 80s today on the Renewal station.

Max walked to the other end of the room and picked up the radio. It was all digital. He didn't like it; he'd always had a taste for the retro of the 2010-2020s.

[Music : You can call me Al - Paul Simon]

— Oh great, I love it!

Antoine entered the room, dancing. Max stared at him.

— What's this?

— Paul Simon. My father used to make me listen to him when I was a kid. Whenever we went on holiday in our little Peugeot.

Max grimaced, it was not really his style. While Antoine was busy rolling Hasler's body up in his carpet and shaking his bottom, he headed for the kitchen. The fridge was full of all kinds of American filth, but contained a few cold beers. But as he went back into the living room, Antoine came towards him, leaving the body of their victim wide open.

— What the fuck are you doing?!

— I just got off the phone with Laure, and the big purge is on. We're going to use this bastard's bunker for protection. It's almost as well equipped as ours.

Antoine took off with the radio towards the basement. Leaving the crime scene as it was. On reflection, Max decided that this was the least of their worries. He shrugged his shoulders and prepared to follow in his friend's footsteps when he heard :

— By the way! Fill up with beers, so we can enjoy a bit!

For the first time since he had arrived, Max's face relaxed. A broad smile spread across his cheeks as he returned to the kitchen. The Renewal had won.