Chp.1/ warm welcome

The view out of my mom's car window is nice. The sun is up and the waves are crashing against each other. People walk their dogs on the sidewalk. Smiles and giggles fill the air. I watch as the little kids play tag with one another knowing that once they get older they will look back on the happy memories they've created.

"Text your dad we're almost there." My mom said still looking straight ahead. I think my mom feels a sense of regret sometimes. She still cries although I'm not sure if it's about my dad, I'm pretty sure it is though. We pull into a really nice two-story house. It has an entry gate that's open with the first initial of our last name. The house was a very modern black-and-white house which doesn't really shock me. My dad has always been the type to be super organized and very up-to-date with the trends.

"Well Maggs, it looks like we are here" She put the car in neutral and then looked at me trying to harvest the best smile she could. I think my mom is truly trying the best she can. If I was in her shoes I would probably be worse than she is. I see my dad coming out of a side door in blue jeans and a casual T-shirt.

I get out of the car to get my bags but my mom has already occupied that job. "Hey kiddo, you ready for a summer of laughs and sweet tooths" I smiled at him, but in truth, he most likely would spend time working. Even when my parents were together he still did the same, which is probably one reason they divorced. "Anna." my father says to my mom "Eugine" she replies. The tension is loud, but my mom clears it up when she turns to me and says "Call me if you need anything, and even if you don't need anything I'm still available" She kisses me on the forehead and then closes with a tight hug. She will miss me. After all, this will be her first summer without me. Without dad. Without us. She lets go and stares into my eyes, and not in a creepy or scary way, but almost saying she wishes I wouldn't stay.

She gets back in the car and my dad grabs my luggage. My mom starts backing out and leaves telling me "Be smart Maggie Reese Hamilton, please make mature decisions" I crack open a genuine smile because we both know the only places I'll be going are the bookstores. Her car is out of the drive and slowly disappears. "Alright sweat pea, what's on the itinerary" I don't know whether to say something or not. My dad usually asks questions like this and soon after he has to take business calls.

"It's ok Dad, I'll just unpack"

"Ok yeah, and how about after that we do something, like go to the arcade"

"Dad I'm not a little kid anymore" A grin forms on my lips

"I know, but you'll be graduating soon"

"I won't be a junior till the fall"

"Exactly. There's not a lot of time left" He laughs, but he's right. There isn't a lot of time, and it's not my fault. If he wanted to spend time with me he would've.

He guides me to the front of the house. "I'll show you to your room" I nod to let him know I understood him. When he opens the door I'm greeted by a beautiful chandelier on the ceiling. Honestly, I'm a little amazed by his style. He leads the way up the staircase to a room at the very end of the hallway. He opens it up and there's so much room but no decorations. "I know there isn't anything in it but we can make a trip into town to pick out some things that you want to fill this room with. I give him a good enough smile, and then I hear a ringing coming from his pocket. "Sorry, Maggie. Do you mind me taking this?" The phone call is just on time according to the previous situations we've been in where my father wants to do "fun things". "No go ahead" He doesn't hesitate and immediately leaves the room. I walk to my bed a plop down sighing.

Two months by myself. It couldn't be that bad. My temptation to read nags me so I go to my suitcase and open it. I made sure to pack a variety of books just in case. I take out a current series that I haven't finished. I pick up the 4th book that I have yet to finish and make my way to what seems like a balcony.