Chp.2/no longer strangers

The walk was a little quiet with a few questions here and there. We got to his car and he opened the door for me and then closed it. He went around to his side and put his key in the ignition.

"So what are we eating?" He wondered, but I really didn't have a good idea of what I wanted to eat.

"I don't know. What do you suggest" I ask

"Hmm. Do you like hamburgers and milkshakes"

"Absolutely" I say with the widest smile ever. He switched from neutral to drive. His car was a black convertible, the windows, and top were down, and before I knew it he sped off. My heart was beating so fast. This felt like an adrenaline rush, and I was for it. The sky was pitch black, but the town was lit up like crazy. I threw my hands up as the air caught them, and in the corner of my eye, I saw him staring at me.

I turned my head subtly but he never moved his head. He just stared at me. There was a feeling I've never felt when his eyes were cast on me, a feeling of what some people would call
"butterflies"

"So are you going to give me your name or is it supposed to be a mystery"

"My name is Maggie"

"That's a beautiful name. My name is Rowan Ellis"

"I don't think I've ever met a Rowan before"

"Well, now you have" He smiles again which causes my stomach to swirl.

"So Maggie what brings you to Delray Florida?' A certain feeling in my body goes numb. It's not like he knew what happened, but I wasn't to answer questions like this. Not just yet.

"So where is the place you said we're eating at" I prayed that he would just go along with the change of conversation "Oh yeah, so it's called "Pogos'" I let out a burst of laughter

"Pogos' is the name of the restaurant" I blurted out

"Hey you can't say anything until you've tried it" He responded. We finally arrived at the restaurant. It appeared to be a 60's themed diner. He got out of the driver's side and without asking he came to open my side. "Thank you," I remarked. When we entered one of the employees said
"Hi welcome to Pogos', find yourself a seat or booth and someone will come and take your orders" Rowan took the lead and seated us at a booth.
"I hope a booth doesn't bother you. If it does we can sit anywhere you'd like"

"No, a booth is completely fine" I reassured.

"May I ask you some questions, Maggie?"

"Only if I can ask some too" He shook his head in agreement and started to ask some questions. We kept talking and the waitress brought over our menus and drinks, and eventually asked us what we wanted to eat.

"So what would you two like?" Rowan replied with a bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a vanilla milkshake which I made a disgusted face at. Vanilla was something that I just couldn't ever like.

"And for you?" the waitress turned to face me with her pen ready "I'll get a bacon avocado burger, fries, and a CHOCOLATE milkshake" I answered making sure Rowan heard the chocolate comment. She took our menus up and left.

"Dully noted. No vanilla" His beautiful smile flashed me once again.

"So you is this a family vacation you're on?" The question made me freeze. I don't know why it did, but I just know if I told him about my situation I might start crying.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ask you that again" That sentence caught me off guard. I'm glad he didn't mean to say that, but I wonder what stopped him.

"What do you mean?" I asked full of curiosity