-prologue-

I have seen the fields aflame

She felt her eyes flutter closed and wondered why she had them open in the first place, but the thought was quickly snatched from her mind as she whirled. The stacks of books would have been piled in the corners of the library [hopefully] so the Library was free to dance in without fear of knocking something over. Despite the fact her record player was old, the sound still vibrated through the floorboards and then the layer of red and gold rugs up her legs and all through Freddie's body.

And everything I ever did

She stretched her arms high above, and breathed in deeply before moving her feet to their positions. Then she lifted one and was spinning again, hair tickling her neck as she created a tornado of black, white, and green.

And everything I ever did was just another way to scream your name

Freddie moved herself faster, a pressure building in her chest as she wished to keep going, never wanting to return to the reality that wasn't filled with soft voices and adrenaline. A lump grew in her throat. Pink skirts, tight shoes, and wooden bars. Hidden laughter and tight buns. Her hair was too short to tie it atop her head now, only in small spiky pig tails that just reached her shoulders.

Over and over and over and over again

She spun, her socks bunching and her coat flapping through the air. She wasn't dressed to dance, and she never would be again. But, if she kept spinning maybe she could just reach out to the slow music and scones after class and teachers not being able to complain that she was in the wrong spot or wearing the wrong-coloured skirt because would they really say that to her face? No, no one said it to her face, they just whispered when they thought maybe she couldn't hear either, or backed away in the street when they saw her face.

Over and over and over and over again

She danced. Over and over and over and over again.

"Freddie?"

The high of adrenaline ended, the song dipping back down into music on a record player and not the notes of the gods she danced to. She landed back on the balls of her feet, socks un-scrunching when she turned to the door with a raised eyebrow.

"Right- sorry, but Freddie, we've got an interview!"

"Can I wear it this time, please, Ant. I only scare them off if I don't."