Chapter One

A lot has happened since I left Lima.

By the time I got to New York, Rachel's train had just a half hour until it arrived at Port Authority. I met her there and we both broke down when we reunited, knowing we were going to start all over again, but we had each other.

I started the summer program at NYADA and had the best summer constantly training for my future. My dance teacher, Cassandra July, who strangely looked like Kate Hudson, absolutely loved me. She's known for being hard on Freshmen, but there was something in me that made her like me. All of my teachers were amazing . . . well except for one, but we'll get to that later.

It was the first day of school, and me and Rachel were in Dance 101 with Miss July. We were standing at one end of the room with our classmates, ready to go across the floor as Miss July stood at the other end as the music started playing.

"Alright, kids, show me what you got. Ready? Five, six, seven, eight," Miss July said before some students started going. "Welcome to NYADA. This is Dance 101, my name's Cassandra July and if you are not suffering from severe body dysmorphia, then you don't want it enough. Let's get this straight, freshman. There's maybe two of you in this room that are good enough to make it in this business. As for the rest of you, thank you for paying my rent on my loft in SoHo." She started talking to one freshman, totally body shaming her even though she was perfectly healthy, there was nothing wrong with her at all. When Rachel overheard this, she rolled her eyes, whilst I acted unphased, knowing how to act around Miss July.

"Hold it," Miss July said, making the music stop. "I'm sorry." She turned to Rachel. "Did my conversation with Muffin Top offend you?"

"No," Rachel said as Miss July started walking around her.

"What's your name?"

"Rachel."

"Little Miss David Schwimmer?"

Rachel repeated the name.

"I bet you were a big star back in Iowa."

"She's actually from where I lived, Miss July," I said, putting an arm around Rachel.

"Well, haven't I told you before, Kimberly, when I thought you were from Illinois? Ohio's even worse," Miss July replied. "You ever looked at a map? Ohio is like a giant turd that Michigan just can't pinch off." She focused back on Rachel. "So, did you come all the way to New York City to show me how to run my class?"

"No, I came to learn," Rachel replied.

"Okay. Lesson number one, your pique turns are pathetic, and your stuck-up little attitude's pissing me off. Be more like Kimberly. Alright, let's go!"

We started doing battements across the floor and Miss July was attacking Rachel with each step she took. When she fell, I was forced to keep going, but I looked back at her feeling awful. I knew what it was like to fear Cassie. But Rachel had to learn how to work with her. I knew she would.

In time at least.

For Classical 1A, there are four of us, all girls. One of them was my roommate, and she was not the best person. She was constantly self-absorbed, her boyfriend came in and they would get it on in our shower, it was awful.

Me and Rachel tried to be each other's roommates, but fate had other plans. It sucked a lot. And our voice teacher did not make it any better.

"No, no, no," Mr. Everett said as I did a scale. "Kimberly, how many times do I need to tell you to let it float?"

"I'm sorry," I murmured.

"She's too much of a belter for classical," Mary, my roommate, said.

I shot her a look as our teacher continued, "Your voice teacher from this summer told me you were phenomenal. I have high expectations for my Freshmen. My question is, are you able to hold up to them?"