- chapter 4-

"What do I wear?" I ask exasperatedly.

Otis rolls his eyes, laying on my bed. "Why don't you just ask her where you're going it would make things much easier."

"No, I can't ask her because then it'll seem like I'm making an effort to dress and I think what we're doing is a thing which I don't think it is so I just want to show up in something casual but what if like she takes us somewhere nice? I would wanna wear a dress or something but what if it's just like a movie? I'm not gonna wear a dress to the movie."

Otis pretends to snore. He wasn't very impressed when I said Billie had asked to meet again. To be honest I think he's just being cautious for me. She isn't exactly the most typical person I'd be friends with and after what I've told him he can only see it going downhill from here.

"I guess I'll just wear like cargos and a dressy top. It's casual but also like nice and presentable."

"Kam, you look amazing in anything - I'm sure Billie doesn't care what you wear and you shouldn't either."

Once I get changed and quickly top up my makeup, it's time to leave. She had just said to meet her next door. Before I leave however, I have to say goodbye to Otis and lock my apartment. We agree to meet again soon as he goes home, leaving me standing infront of Billie's door like an idiot.

I knock three times and quickly compose myself, my nerves making me shiver slightly. Why am I so nervous? This is actually so stupid.

After a few moments, the door clicks and opens, revealing Billie, wearing an oversized jumper and black joggers, her converse from yesterday making a reappearance.

"Hi" she smiles, grabbing her keys off a shelf and locking the door as she comes out, bright smile on her face. "I hope you don't mind me asking to hang out. I figured you might not have that much to do. Once I left school and moved to my apartment I just sat round all day and didn't have the luxury of friends wanting to come over."

"Pretty accurate." I laugh, looking down at my shoes and shoving my hands in my pockets. "It's a very nice gesture though, sure you have better things you could be doing tonight."

Billie clicks her tongue and shakes her head, now leaning back on her door, one foot flat against it. "Bullshit. If I didn't want to hang out with you, I wouldn't of asked. Come on, we can't stand here all night."

Me and Billie decide to take the stairs, walking leisurely out of the apartment block and onto the street. The first thing I notice is just how chilly the air is against my arms, hair moving in the breeze. Maybe I should of brought a jacket. However, it's too late to go back upstairs and grab one and I wasn't going to face the embarrassment of it anyways. Guess I'll just have to cope.

"Where are we going?" I ask as Billie guides us along the street, winding through other people. Since our places are pretty central, it's quite busy but due to it being slightly out the way and the time of night, the usual flurry of people had dissipated.

"Just on a walk." She shrugs, looking back at me. Her hair is in loose pigtails on either side of her head - it's quite adorable actually. And she has eyeliner on which makes her blue eyes stand out that much more, even in the darkness. She didn't have any on earlier so it's a bit weird that she would put on makeup to go on a walk in the dark with her neighbour. "I like to go on them to clear my head. Gets me in a good mood."

"Oh, did you not have the best day?" I query, watching her as she walks alongside me, eyes down at the pavement.

"No, I mean, nothing bad has happened today. Just my general mood and head haven't been the best the last couple of weeks. I like to carve out time for myself sometimes. Thought I could take some to learn more about you." She turns down onto a path so the noise of other pedestrians fades away. I can hear her voice more clearly, it's so smooth, like I could listen to it all day. You know when someone just has a podcast voice?