- chapter 7 -

- Kamari -

I don't push any further with Billie and the topic of conversation just kind of fades away as Billie gets up to get us drinks, telling me to look through her book. Billie isn't like anyone I've ever met before. The way she acts, the way she makes me feel. Like I don't have to worry about the things I would usually. Even though I am and sometimes I do let the thoughts slip to the forefront of my brain, it doesn't last like it would other people.

Wether it's who she is in general or something she sees in me that's makes her act such a way I'm uncertain but if it's the first option, I couldn't see a reason anyone would ever dislike her. Sure she can be a bit of a mystery sometimes and has a very weird thing for flirting but it's all in good nature.

I reach for her book, the same one from that day in her studio. Immediately, I'm drawn into the images the pages present to me. Her artistry is just amazing, I'm shocked by the intricacy of these designs, the depth of them.

"These are amazing." I breathe, tracing over the drawings with my fingers. "Like, really."

A crooked smile plays on Billie's lips as she sits down, hand holding onto the edge of the space on the stool between her legs, fingers outstretched. It doesn't really surprise me at this point.

"Thanks mama." It's quiet, she smirks slightly at my silence after the name. She's just doing it to mess with me now. Billie seems to have an obsession with pretending to flirt with me. At least that's the conclusion I came to. "So what kind of design and placement are you thinking?"

Pondering for a second, I hesitate. To be honest, I'm not quite sure. Maybe that's bad but I was kinda hoping Billie would have some miraculous idea that I love and save all the work from me. Don't get me wrong, I have a loose idea in my head but I'm not emotionally attached to anything yet. After all, this was a very spur of the moment thing.

"Well, all I know is I want it on my sternum and nothing to harsh. Like I was thinking Mandela type style but it's too busy, I want something fine but still noticeable, do you know what I mean?"

Billie has already started bringing out her iPad, she was a professional, you could tell. "No, yeah I get it.  What if we did like maybe some abstract like art that expands underneath with like make a centrepiece in the middle."

I only half know what she's talking about but I nod along regardless. I trust what's she's saying even though I don't know what that is.

"What about like a small sword?" She asks excitedly. "Or like a butterfly with a sword through the middle, not like morbid or anything just like you can't really see it."

Billie's a fast sketcher. The draft is done only a minute after her idea.  Like she said, the sword is drawn behind the butterfly but you can still tell it's there. Underneath, flowers on vines spread underneath my boobs, spreading outwards and small fine designs decorate around it, dots and a outstretched shape. Once I look at it again, I realise it's another butterfly, long wings designed beautifully into the pattern.

"I love it." I breathe. "It's absolutely beautiful but Billie - I don't know if I have enough money for that." It is quite a larger piece than I had imagined. To be honest, even though money was the bigger issue, I can't help but think of the pain this is going to put me in. I don't dare mention that to her.

Billie looks up with a small smile, eyes scanning my face. "Don't worry about it." She almost whispers. "On the house."

My eyes widen in shock. She can't do that.