Feelings

"Nayan, will you be able to go to your school on your own?" dad asked me the next day. "You know my working hours change and so do your mom's. In that case you'll have to travel all by yourself."

"Stop spoon feeding him Deep," mom said, "he's sixteen. At his age I used to do all my home's chores and walk five kilometres to and from the school everyday. He can travel through public transport, isn't that enough?"

Dad rolled his eyes, "Shreya, will you stop your ranting? He's our only son, shouldn't we care for him if we're having the resources and the money?"

Mom made a face as she left to get ready for work. I said, "Dad, I'm good with the public bus. Besides, most of my friends come themselves, I'll learn the same."

Brushing my hair, dad said, "Don't mind your mother, you know she loves you but she can get a little harsh."

"Yeah," I sighed, unconvinced with what he said.

I went on packing my things up and left for the school. The feeling of travelling alone in the New York city was thrilling as I reached the school jovially. But I came to an abrupt stop as soon as I saw Ace entering through the gates with his friends.

"Hey Nayan," Stella called out as she approached me, "why did you leave yesterday so early?"

"I was not allowed to hang out for long," I lied.

"Oh, I'm sorry dearie," Stella said patting my back. "Come along, let's go in."

I hesitated as Ace could easily notice me if we were to walk in now. Using my brains, I immediately acted as if my leg was sprained.

"Ouch Stella, I think I got a sprain," I acted limping slightly.

"Sprain? How did you get one?"

"I-I don't know. It's awfully painful."

"We need to get someone's help," Stella declared as she began looking for someone. And guess what? The one and only she could notice was Ace!

"ACE! ACE!" Stella yelled while I panicked. Ace and his friends turned and saw me limping towards the school gates. They ran over for help. Ace's eyes displayed concern once they met mine.

"Jeez Stella, what happened to Nayan?" Henry asked as he caught my arm to steady me.

"He says he's got a sprain," Stella replied.

"Lemme help," Ace stepped ahead. He placed my arm across his neck as I acted limping while we moved forward slowly. A point came when I almost tripped from Ace's footing but he caught me by the chest, squeezing it slightly. I'm certain it was intentional because it felt like it was.

And then, it really happened. My ankle twisted and I gave out a loud and painful cry. Now I was truly sprained!

"Hey you alright?" Ace asked in a worried tone.

"What do you think?" I said frustrated. "I can't do this, I can't walk!"

I was panicking which made me lose my balance, falling down while Ace caught me by the waist, causing me butterflies. I could feel the tension between us as the others gathered around.

"Would you like to go home?" Stella asked. "One of us can drive you back."

"No, no!" I panicked even more. "Today we're having a couple of tests, I cannot miss them. It will reflect on my internal-ouch!"

I winced in pain as I tried taking a step. I was losing my patience when Ace did the shocking.

Without my acknowledgement, he bent and collected my lean physique in his strong athletic arms, carrying me in them. My heart pounded frantically as he looked at me with concern.