chapter four

CHAPTER FOUR!

❝ TO BE OR NOT TO BE ❞

Viera's tears dry quickly—her sorrows switching to fear.

        The Prowler is close behind them. Soon, there is a light at the end of a tunnel. Viera turns, until she's standing upside the ceiling and blows. Air cold enough to freeze ten feet of the abandoned subway causes it to freeze over—the Prowler losing his grip and slips.

        They lose him for sure, entering a subway. Viera stares into her reflection as the doors close. Miles doesn't say anything and neither does she. Their pants and heavy breathing harmonize with each other. 

        She sits next to him, people file in and out only worrying about their business. She's sure they don't care about two black kids running onto a subway car. That's the beauty of Brooklyn. 

        "My parents are scientists," she suddenly says, "my adoptive parents—different fields, same company," she fiddles with her fingers. "Three years ago, I was bitten by a radioactive spider, wandering into an area I had no business in.

        "My uncle, Peter, was the only one who knew; he was the only person who had the ability to find out," tears form again, "and now he's dead."

        She takes his hand. 

        "What are you—" he sputters out.         

        "Here," she says, then stands as the doors open. She leaves the flash drive in his hands.

        He follows her off the subway car. The doors close. 

        "Where are you going?" Miles asks. 

        "I'm going to my Bar Mitzvah," she rolls her eyes. "My uncle just died, Miles. I'm going home."

        "We promised Peter." He says. "He said you'll teach me the basics."

        "I know what he said, but," Viera sighs. "I'm not a hero for a reason. I'm not cut out for it. Maybe you are and that's why the universe decided to choose you but me?" She says, "Nah, I have class in the morning."

        Viera doesn't even sneak into her home, she enters through the front door. Because of how late it is, she passes by her father in the living room. 

        "Viera?" He asks. "Why aren't you at school?"

        For some reason, that breaks her. Her mom appears from the kitchen and they rush to her. Their words can't be heard over her sobbing as she shakes in her mother's arms. The TV switches from a sitcom rerun to a news broadcasting. The Breaking News headline is titled:

SPIDER-MAN FOUND DEAD.

        Technically, the school doesn't allow anyone outside of immediate family to warrant excused absences, but Spider-Man was loved by many. The school offered her a few days to recoup from grieving. 

        Viera doesn't attend many events. Outside from the funeral, she spends time alone in her room. Several family members she doesn't keep up with call her with condolences. Carrie and Oscar have called her several times and she hasn't answered. Her aunt has called her maybe once or twice to check up on her, but she's been busy attending events. 

        Miles texted her once a few days ago, it was short and simple. She hasn't replied. 

        She twiddles with one of the web shooters her uncle made her, shooting a small web across the room before shoving it under her bed. She glances outside, the sun has just set, it's getting dark. She looks back into her closet, the suit she's had in there burns.