Chapter 1: Unexpected Pairings

Rarity's POV

I checked the clock on the wall anxiously. It was almost time for the announcement of the exchange program participants. I had been waiting for this moment for months, ever since I applied for the opportunity to go to Paris, the fashion capital of the world. I had always dreamed of visiting the city of lights, seeing the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Champs-Élysées and, of course, the boutiques and ateliers of the most fabulous designers. I had worked hard on my portfolio, my essay and my interview, and I was sure that I had dazzled the selection committee.

I looked around the auditorium, where all the seniors were gathered. I spotted my friends in the front row, smiling and waving at me. I smiled back, grateful for their support. They were the best friends anyone could ask for: Twilight Sparkle, the smartest and most adorable girl in school; Pinkie Pie, the bubbly and hilarious party planner; Fluttershy, the sweet and gentle animal lover; Rainbow Dash, the awesome and loyal sports star; and Sunset Shimmer, the former mean girl turned leader and mentor. We had been through a lot together, especially since we discovered that we had magical powers that came from another world where we were ponies.

“Hey, Rarity!” Pinkie Pie shouted. “Are you excited?”

“Of course I am, darling!” I answered. “This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance!”

“You’re going to make it, Rarity!” Rainbow Dash cheered. “You’re the coolest fashionista in town!”

“Thank you, Rainbow. That means a lot coming from you.”

“You deserve it, Rarity,” Fluttershy said softly. “You’ve worked so hard for this.”

“You’re too kind, Fluttershy. Thank you.”

“I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time in Paris,” Twilight said. “You’ll learn so much and have so much fun!”

“I hope so, Twilight. I hope so.”

“And don’t worry about us,” Sunset added. “We’ll be fine here. We’ll keep in touch and send you lots of pictures and videos.”

“I appreciate that, Sunset. You’re all such good friends.”

I also noticed some familiar faces in the crowd, such as Flash Sentry, Twilight’s crush; Timber Spruce, Twilight’s summer camp boyfriend; Bulk Biceps, Fluttershy’s fitness trainer; Soarin, Rainbow Dash’s fellow Wonderbolt; Trixie Lulamoon, Sunset’s former rival; and Starlight Glimmer, Sunset’s new friend. I wondered who else had applied for the exchange program and who would be chosen.

I hoped that it wouldn’t be Applejack. Applejack was the only person in school that I couldn’t stand. She was a country girl who worked at her family’s farm and apple orchard. She was also the captain of the rodeo team, which competed against my fashion club in various events. We had nothing in common and we always argued over everything, from music to food to clothes.

Applejack was rude, stubborn and uncouth. She always wore the same old hat, boots and plaid shirt. She never cared about her appearance or hygiene. She spoke with a thick accent and used slang words that I couldn’t understand. She listened to country music that made my ears bleed. She ate apples all day long and smelled like them too.

Applejack was also snooty, fussy and vain. She always thought she knew best and never listened to anyone else’s opinion. She criticized everything I did or said or wore. She mocked my passion for fashion and called it frivolous and wasteful. She hated my taste in music and called it boring and pretentious. She refused to try any of my delicious dishes and called them fancy and disgusting.

We had been enemies since freshman year, when Applejack accidentally spilled apple juice on my new dress during lunch.

“Watch where you’re going, you brute!” I had yelled.

“Sorry about that, sugarcube,” Applejack had said mockingly. “Maybe you should wear something more practical than that fancy schmancy thing.”

“This is not a fancy schmancy thing! This is a masterpiece of haute couture!”

“Haute what now?”

“Never mind. You wouldn’t understand.”

“I understand that you’re a spoiled brat who thinks she’s better than everyone else.”

“And I understand that you’re a stuck-up snob who has no sense of style or manners.”

We had been at each other’s throats ever since.

I hoped that Applejack hadn’t even applied for the exchange program. She couldn’t appreciate the beauty and culture of Paris. She would ruin everything with her clumsiness and ignorance.

But as fate would have it, she did apply.

And she was chosen.

Along with me.

The announcement came as a shock to everyone, especially to us.

“Congratulations to Rarity Belle and Applejack Smith!” Principal Celestia said over the microphone. “You are the two lucky students who will represent Canterlot High in the exchange program to Paris!”

The auditorium erupted in applause and cheers, but I felt like I had been hit by a truck.

I looked at Applejack, who was sitting a few rows behind me. She looked as stunned and horrified as I did.

Our eyes met, and we both mouthed the same word.

“No.