Chapter 4: A Tardy Departure

Rarity's POV

I stood by the departure gate, tapping my perfectly manicured nails against my passport cover. Irritation coursed through me as I glanced at the flight information board. Where was Applejack? If she didn't show up soon, we would miss our flight.

And there she was, storming toward me with a determined expression. "I'm here, Rarity! Sorry for the delay, but Granny Smith's chickens got loose. Had to round 'em up."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes, my tone laced with annoyance. "Granny Smith's chickens, Applejack? Really? Couldn't you have taken care of that little farm predicament before we were due to leave?"

She crossed her arms defensively, her eyes narrowing. "Not everyone has the luxury of prancing around in fancy outfits all day, Rarity. Some of us have real responsibilities."

My patience wore thin, my voice tinged with exasperation. "Oh, please! Don't act as if I don't have my own set of responsibilities. I had to ensure my fashion orders were fulfilled before this trip. It's not like I can abandon my business."

Applejack's expression hardened, her voice growing louder. "Yeah, well, at least you don't have to worry 'bout dirt and sweat ruining your precious creations. Farm work ain't all glamour like your fashion world."

My nostrils flared, my voice sharp. "You think my work is all about glamour? Creating high-quality fashion requires skill, creativity, and an eye for detail. It's not a walk in the park, Applejack."

She scowled, frustration evident in her voice. "Maybe not, but it sure feels like you look down on what I do. You think farming is some kind of joke."

My voice rose in response, my frustration reaching its peak. "And you think farming is the only thing that matters! You have no idea what it takes to run a successful fashion empire. It requires dedication, style, and an understanding of the latest trends."

The tension thickened as our eyes locked, our stubbornness fueling the argument. Passersby cast curious glances our way, intrigued by the escalating dispute.

Suddenly, my voice softened, hurt seeping through my words. "Applejack, I never meant to belittle your work. I appreciate your dedication, but it seems we're always at odds. Perhaps our different perspectives clash more often than not."

Her features softened as well, her defenses crumbling. "Yeah, Rarity, maybe we're just too different for our own good. We're always butting heads, and it ain't doing either of us any favors."

I nodded, weariness and disappointment washing over me. "Perhaps it's time we accept that we have differences. We can't force ourselves to understand what we may never truly comprehend."

Her gaze faltered, a touch of sadness in her voice. "I reckon you're right, Rarity. Maybe we're better off keeping our distance on this trip."

My heart sank, the weight of our fractured friendship weighing heavily upon me. "It seems that way, Applejack. It's a shame, really, but I suppose some things just aren't meant to be."

With a heavy sigh, I turned away, my eyes fixed on the departure gate. I couldn't bear the thought of missing our flight, even if it meant leaving behind a friendship that had once been so dear. As I waited, my heart heavy with unresolved emotions, I couldn't shake the feeling that a part of me would always long for the connection I had lost with Applejack.

The wait continued in silence, the air heavy with unspoken words and a sense of regret. My thoughts drifted to what might have been, my mind filled with echoes of our argument. Yet for some reason I still hoped to become friends with Applejack.