Glossary

**please note this glossary is not complete but will be added to as chapters are posted**

Air Weaver: the Primordial symbolized by the Hawk, is connected to the element of air and the power of spirit. Much like the hawk soaring high in the sky, the Air Weaver has the ability to manipulate air currents, control winds, and possess a deep understanding of the unseen forces at play. They are known for their agility, keen perception, and the power to navigate the invisible realms.

Altnahara: a distant region in Valterra separated from the Mainlands by the Scourge. 

Bringer: a living being who has been touched by the Dark and now follows the Dark, and does the Dark's bidding whether directly or thru the commands of other higher ranking minions. If a Bringer dies, they become one of the Soulless. 

Cormorant: a mythological god who represents the Rain Maker to the present day people of Valterra.

Birds of the Tides: the legend of the Primordials told through ancient tales of the mythological gods, the Cormorant, Raven, Hawk and Phoenix, who together embody the interconnectedness of nature and the eternal rhythms that govern it. 

Black Shuck: named by human myth, an ancient demon beast known to roam the battlefields of old as a ghostly hound.

The Chancellor: the Primordial who serves as the head of the chancery in Endure, a senior clergyman and scholar who is responsible for drafting important documents and advising the Council and the citizens in all political and traditional matters. Position currently held by Marcus Thane. 

Crystal Elves: a mystical and reclusive elven clan known for their profound connection to the earth and its precious gemstones. 

The Dark: a malevolent and powerful force of evil associated with dark magic which seeks chaos and destruction.

Draug: reanimated undead warrior possessing magics, draugar is plural.

Earth Builder: the Primordial symbolized by the Raven who embodies the power of creation and transformation. Just as the raven builds its nest and shapes its environment, the Earth Builder possesses the ability to shape and mold the very fabric of the Earth. They are connected to the world's energies and can harness its forces to construct and manipulate the physical environment.

Fae: also known as faeries or fairies, mystical beings with supernatural abilities and a strong connection to nature, tied to the Primordial lore.

Flame Seeker:  the Primordial symbolized by the Phoenix, represents the transformative power of fire. Like the phoenix rising from its own ashes, the Fire Seeker has the capacity to harness the intensity and purifying nature of fire. They can command flames, ignite passions, and bring about profound change through the destructive yet regenerative force of fire.

Great War: A rising of the Dark's minions led by a corrupt Primordial, the Raven, aka Shadow Bringer that lasted several years about 20 years prior to this story.

Hawk: a mythological god who represents the Air Weaver to the present day people of Valterra.

Keeper of the Chronicles: the Primordial responsible for safeguarding and maintaining important archives, ancient texts, and artifacts and tasked with preserving the wisdom and traditions of the people of Valterra. Position currently held by Lucinde Ehrhardt. 

The Light: a benevolent force of goodness and righteousness associated with light magic which seeks harmony and protection.

Phoenix: a mythological god who represents the Flame Seeker to the present day people of Valterra.

Primordials: refers to those with ancient and elemental powers, the keepers of balance between the Dark and the Light and the descendants of beings often associated with the creation and shaping of the world. 

Rain Maker: the Primordial symbolized by the Cormorant, is associated with the element of water and its life-giving properties. Similar to the cormorant's affinity for water, the Rain Maker possesses the power to summon and control rain, storms, and the very essence of water itself. They hold the ability to bring life-sustaining moisture to drought-stricken lands and wield the forces of water with great mastery.

Raven: a mythological god who represents the Earth Builder to the present day people of Valterra.

Shadowbringer: Ivar El'Athan, a Primordial born about 70 years prior to the current story who somehow became touched by the Dark. Usurped at age 17 and had a large contingency of Bringers at his command by the time he was 18. The Great War began shortly afterwards. 

The Shattering: a cataclysmic battle between the Light and Dark that left most of Valterra's civilization obliterated about five hundred years ago.

Soulless: the name given to the draug armies that some minions of the Dark can summon and/or create through recruiting Bringers.

The Wilds: A vast, ancient forest that once covered most of Valterra before the Shattering, The Wilds stretch from North to South and are filled with life, both current and from a forgotten time. The forest is imbued with old magic and is home to a variety of creatures, including elusive beings like nymphs, gnomes, and fauns. It is also rumored to be the dwelling place of the mighty Cernunnos. 

Witch: a harvester, who can create potions, tinctures and charms with herbs and other ingredients found in nature, mainly for healing. They may have other abilities like reading the weather, prophetic dreams, or communicating with spirits.

Valintra: the land where the Elves currently reside, hidden deep within the world of Valterra.

Valterra: The name of the world this story takes place on.