The Heart Of The Truest Believer

Y/N and Wendy became fast friends. As it turned out, having another girl on the island was a blessing to both of them. They spent time flitting around the small room, filling their space with light and music and laughter. They painted on the walls and brought flowers in from outside. It became quite the little homestead.
That too was a blessing. Before long, the poison made it difficult for Y/N to leave their treehouse. She was tired and dizzy most of the time now. Any kind of movement was an ordeal so she mostly stayed still. She would tell Wendy stories but she liked listening best. Wendy told Y/N the stories she told to her brothers before her time in Neverland. She knew so many. Eventually Y/N got brave enough to ask about John and Michel, but there wasn't much to tell. Wendy really didn't know where her brothers were or even if they were alive.
"You'll find them," Y/N sounded confident.
"How do you know for sure?"
"I don't, but I believe. Around here that's a very powerful thing."
Wendy just smiled and Y/N hugged her tightly. Neverland had not been nearly as kind to Wendy as it had been to her.
    Wendy had no interest in leaving the treehouse. The island, and its inhabitants were not safe, not for her. The only time she was absent from the little room was when Y/N had other visitors. Visitors like Peter, who checked in daily.
    Wendy had ducked out of sight during one of these visits when Peter offered Y/N a hand. "Care for an adventure Lost Girl?"
    She just shook her head. "I can't Peter. It hurts to move."
    "Then don't move. Just take my hand, there's something I need to show you."
    He looked so determined that Y/N finally relented. She took his offered hand and in the blink of an eye the little room and the bed were gone. In their place Y/N found herself standing on a stone floor. She stumbled but her weight was fully supported by Peter's arm.
    Placing a hand on Peter's chest for balance, she turned slowly to see cave walls lit up by torches. In the center of the cavern was a massive hourglass filled with sparkling golden sand.
    "It's beautiful Peter. But, why are we here?"
    "Because I need you to understand." He sat her down to catch her breath and settled himself by her side. "Time in Neverland stands still," he began, "so the purpose of this hourglass is not to mark its passing. Instead, it measures the magic left on the island — the magic keeping me young. When I made the choice to stay here, the spirit of the island showed it to me." He watched the sand in the glass with a greedy sort of desperation. "I've had to use the magic to stay here and now it's running out. I'm nearly out of time. When the sand runs out I won't have magic anymore. I won't be able to use it to stay here or to stop the poison. When it runs out I will die, and I will fail. I'll fail you Y/N."
    They both sat in silence for a while, watching as the sand fell relentlessly. Y/N was the first to break the transe. "There has to be a way around it. There's always another way."
    "All magic—"
    "Comes with a price," she interrupted, "I know. But that price can always be paid. There has to be a way to save the island and you and me."
    He nodded and whispered, "I believe there is," he scooted closer, his voice almost reluctant. "You remember the waterfall I showed you? The day you learned to fly."
    "Of course."
    "The water is infused with the magic of the island: healing power in its truest form. If you drink it, it should stop the poison."
    "Why does that make you look so sad?"
    "Its magic is connected to the island, so if you drink it, and you leave Neverland, it will stop working. And that's assuming it works to begin with. I told you the island is dying. I fear even the water may not be enough."
    "Then what will? I know that look Peter, you have a plan, a game in mind."
    His eyes glinted. He seemed to be calculating what was safe to say out loud. "The Heart of The Truest Believer." Every word he spoke was carefully measured.
    "A heart?" She didn't understand. "You need a heart to save the island?"
    "Not just any heart. The heart of one who truly believes could recharge the whole island. It used to run entirely on belief. It could do that again."
    She shook her head, suddenly skeptical. "Where are you going to find this believer?"
    "I don't know yet, but I'm close. That's what I've been doing while you were away. That's what I've been looking for, and I'm going to find it."
    Peter didn't tell her the lengths he had gone to already or what he would be willing to do still to save the island—to save her. He knew she wouldn't approve. She would try to stop him, and he couldn't have that.
    He could not fail her.