16 | For the Rest of the Day

It was very hard, in the morning, to argue with the part of me that was sure last night was a dream

It was very hard, in the morning, to argue with the part of me that was sure last night was a dream. Logic wasn't on my side, or common sense. I clung to the parts I couldn't have imagined — like his smell. I was sure I could never have dreamed that up on my own.

It was foggy and dark outside my window, absolutely perfect. He had no reason not to be in school today. This was the first time in my life I prayed for bad weather. Taehyung was changing me.

I dressed in my heavy clothes, remembering I didn't have a jacket. Further proof that my memory was real. I decided to wear my black leather pants and a white shirt. My black leather jacket from Jessica's car was the other piece of the school day ensemble.

For today, I made sure to add my earrings to my right ear. The moon and stars were a dangling piece of silver, a gift from Jaewoo for my last birthday. After teasing my longer-than-most-boys-hair, I applied a pink lip balm to my lips and sprayed one of the Diors on before going downstairs.

When I got to the kitchen, Jaewoo was gone again — I was running later than I'd realized. I swallowed a granola bar in three bites, chased it down with milk straight from the carton, and then hurried out the door. Hopefully the rain would hold off until I could find Jessica.

It was unusually foggy; the air was almost smoky with it. The mist was ice cold where it clung to the exposed skin on my face and neck. I couldn't wait to get the heat going in my truck. It was such a thick fog that I was a few feet down the driveway before I realized there was a car in it: a silver Corvette.

Wow.

My heart thudded, stuttered, and then picked up again in double time.

I didn't see where he came from, but suddenly he was there, pulling the door open for me.

"Do you want to ride with me today?" he asked, amused by my expression as he caught me by surprise yet again. There was uncertainty in his voice. He was really giving me a choice — I was free to refuse, and part of him hoped for that. It was a vain hope.

"Yes, thank you," I said, trying to keep my voice calm. As I stepped into the warm car, I noticed his tan jacket was slung over the headrest of the passenger seat. The door closed behind me, and, sooner than should be possible, he was sitting next to me, starting the car.

"I brought the jacket for you. I didn't want you to get sick or something." His voice was guarded. I noticed that he wore no jacket himself, just a light gray knit V-neck shirt with long sleeves. Again, the fabric clung to his perfectly toned chest. He wasn't as muscular as I was but he was fit. Gorgeously fit. It was a colossal tribute to his face that it kept my eyes away from his body.

"I'm not quite that delicate," I said, but I pulled the jacket onto my lap, pushing my arms through the too-long sleeves, curious to see if the scent could possibly be as good as I remembered. It was better.