5.

So last night was interesting. Roman and I became a couple and he kissed me. I thought it was going to be weird kissing him but turns out I actually liked it. I went to sleep last night grinning like a love-sick fool. But it felt kind of good. Especially knowing that I have had someone by my side loving me for me for a while now. Roman was a wonderful person and I was lucky to know that I was being loved by him.

We'd just finished dinner and like I had done every night since we've been here, I helped Lisa load the dishwasher. "So, if I may ask, what happened between you and your parents?" she asked.

I looked at her. "I don't know what you mean." I said. I hadn't told her anything so for her to ask that question in particular it made me wonder what she knew.

"I just figured since you seem uncomfortable every time someone asks about your family that you guys just don't have a very good relationship." she said. Well, bullseye, I guess.

I closed the dishwasher and leaned against the counter. I suppose I should tell her about it. I mean, she was Roman's mom and I could trust her. Right? "Um, no. I don't have a good relationship with them. Not at all, actually." I said. "They cared more about their freedom than being parents. They didn't care about me or want any part of my life. They fed me but that was about it. And even that stopped when I turned eleven because they felt that I was old enough to cook my own food. And I went days sometimes without eating because I would burn whatever I was cooking and then they wouldn't let me even have a sandwich." I looked at her and she was watching me, listening intently. "That's why I'm so good in the kitchen now. I had to learn everything very young. I wasn't able to do any sports or anything because they didn't want to pay for it. Eventually I found a way around that by earning money from neighbors but I still didn't have the support of my parents. So eventually I stopped looking for it. I stopped expecting something that I knew wasn't there."

"I am so sorry." she said. "I had no idea. It's terrible that you had parents like that. It breaks my heart for you." She pulled me in for a hug and I let her. Normally I hated when people did this. The sympathy and then the hug that followed. It made me feel like I was a charity case rather than a human being, normally. But with Lisa, I don't know, it was different. Over the last few days she had made me feel so welcome and so a part of everything. I had never felt like that outside of work except for when I was with Roman. I guess it was a good fit.

"Honestly, it's their loss, right? I mean, if they didn't want to see me grow up to be the person I am today then that's their mistake." I said. She nodded. "I find myself, sometimes, wishing that I had my parents in my life. But then I think that if I had, maybe my would have turned out so different. And maybe I wouldn't be in the WWE and I wouldn't have met Roman or you. And no matter what happened in my past, Roman is one the greatest blessings I have gained and I am so grateful for him."

She smiled. "That makes me so happy to hear." she said. "And I want you to know that it has been a true blessing to have you here with us this Thanksgiving. You are a wonderful person despite everything you've been through." If she only knew the half of it. Because my parents mistreatment wasn't even half. "And my son is lucky to know someone like you. And I am truly lucky to know you. Evelyn, dear, you are a beautiful girl and you have got a beautiful heart to match. You made yourself into who you are today."

"Thank you." I said. I figured that was enough for now. She didn't need to know every single thing that happened in my past. But there was somebody who did. Somebody would be impacted by it. And I hadn't ever told him a few things. But considering how things ended with Braun, I guess it was time to have that horrible conversation. Given the person I'd be telling it to was Roman, I should be alright to open up. Right? It wasn't like he would judge me for it. I hope.