1

The night is dark and cold drops of rain patter the stone path before me. It's almost 1:00 in the morning now and I slowly make my way through the vacant school courtyard with my two friends Vash, a average-sized B Rank student with messy, mud brown hair, and Jeter, a tall and skinny A Rank student with short-cut black hair and handsome golden eyes.

I walk behind them as they whisper about that latest disappearances and other such news. My shivering hands clutching tiny music box while I sleepily gaze about the flower beds.

Tonight Jeter had invited Vash and me to a special A Rank party that took place off school grounds! Only A Rank students are ever permitted outside of the academy so, being a C Rank myself, it was my first time in years seeing beyond the brick walls of Black Clock Academy. I was able to meet new people and one girl, who said she was a student from a neighboring school, gave me the music box I now hold.

"Looking tired, Isla. Would you like me to escort you back to your dorm?" Jeter asks, looking back at me with a small chuckle.
"Yes please, I need you to tell the hall prefect that I was authorized to be out this late." I reply before yawning.

"But you weren't authorized were you? Haha, I suppose you were if I say you were, and I will." He laughs.

"What about my free pass!?!" Vash whines, tugging on Jeter's sleeve, "I'm not an A Rank either!"

Jeter shrugs, brushing him off, "You agreed to go, it's not my fault you broke the rules."

The two continue to banter back and forth as we exit the courtyard and turn into the dimly lit halls of the North Wing. I lazily trace the portraits of deceased headmasters with my eyes and my steps become slow and wavering.

Jeter turns around suddenly and catches me as I trip forward. "I think it would be best if I carried you from here, if you fall behind there's no telling where you'll end up."

I nod and let him scoop me into his arms and continue walking. This, I think, is the best thing about appearing to be a cute and weak little C Rank. Everyone thinks they need to take care and look after me, and so I live while others fade.

I've been in this blasted academy for almost five years at this point, stolen off the streets to be a maid, and I've risen up to be in the third highest rank in the school.

I don't notice the D Rank girl walking toward us till she jeers loudly in my face, "Must be nice to have your personal A Rank carry you around past curfew."

"Oh shut up will you? It's not like you have any half decent reason to be out so late, and, if I were to guess, no A Rank is going to be offering up a pass for you." Vash says with a smirk before whispering in my ear, "What you want to bet that she'll be on the missing list tomorrow?"

"Fare night to you too Lily." I call after the girl as she passes.

"You really can't be roused to anger can you?" Jeter asks, smiling down at me.

"I try not to be."

At the next stairwell Vash bids Jeter and me farewell and heads down a hall to the left. "I suppose I'll get a nasty punishment for being up so late, and outside the school nonetheless! Thanks for the good time and fare night my fellow students, my doom awaits."

"Fare night." Jeter and I say in return as he ambles away from us.

"Your dorm is not far, Isla, please don't fall asleep quiet yet." Jeter whispers as he ascends the stairs.

"If you wish."

Before I know it, Jeter is opening the door of my dorm room and lowering me to my feet.

"Thank you, Jeter." I say, shuffling into the room.

"It was nothing, though if your studies tomorrow suffer from this I should be rather disappointed and think ill to take you out so late again." He responds, quietly closing the door behind me, "Fare night, Isla."

"Fare night." I mumble, quickly making my way over to my bed and slowly lowering myself down onto the stiff blanket. I can hear Jeter outside my room talking with Quinn, our hall prefect, before he leaves and all I can hear is the steady breathing of my five room mates.

A/n
Hey, hope you enjoy this story:)
Please comment on what you liked or suggest things that you would like; I almost always read the comments.
Have a good day <3