Chapter Two

It must have been several hours when I was asleep since the sun began to rise out of the hospital window. My headache felt less sore but my memories remained forgotten.

I turned to see a girl sitting next to me with a smile on her face. She was very beautiful with her blue eyes, golden hair tied back, pearl earrings, white crop top, and blue jeans. She seemed so happy for no apparent reason. It seems like anything I said before to my family would not sadden her.

"You're finally awake! Sorry that I couldn't visit you last night, by the way, I didn't receive word yet," she said.

Does she not know that I don't know her? I need to speak up, but I'm tired of making people cry. Yet, I still need insight.

"Um, I don't know how to tell you this but I don't-"

"Know who I am? Don't worry, the doctors already told me," she interrupted.

Thank god, but how is she not upset? Her cheeks aren't red so she must have not cried somehow when she got the news. She still might have had a negative reaction like a panic attack or something, but I didn't want to bother asking.

The girl sighed but continued to smile. "Looks like we need some catching up to do, I'm Josie by the way, Josie Patel. If you're unaware, we're best friends!"

She reached her hand for a handshake. I shook her hand back. This felt a lot like making a new friend other than greeting a friend you already have.

"Ok, so don't freak out, but you missed a LOT of assignments in school. But no worries because we're study buddies so you'll get it all done in no time," Josie said, giving a thumbs up.

I might feel like an idiot for not knowing this stuff, but I honestly don't even remember what school or even grade I'm in.

"Erm, what school do I go to?"

"Springfield High," Josie answered.

I wanted to say, "Yeah, I totally knew that" sarcastically so I feel less dumb, but saying that will definitely make me feel more dumb.

"What grade am I in," I asked.

"You're in 11th grade, therefore, you're also 17 years old."

Josie explained to me what classes I have which were chemistry, geometry, English, gym, orchestra (apparently I play the clarinet), French, and history. She also said that all of my teachers were aware of my condition.

"You start school tomorrow at 7:00 AM, so don't be late or else they give you a referral."

I nodded.

My parents and a doctor entered the room.

"Aw man, I guess I have to leave now, I'll see you tomorrow Eliza," Josie said as she waved out the door.

I turned to the doctor. He said that I was finally getting discharged along with a prescription of pills to help with my headache, but the doctor called it "my brain fracture." From what I was told, whatever I hit my head on, must have impacted my brain and my memory. What scared me the most is that my injury was as bad as if I fell and hit it down a 50-foot building. No wonder everyone was so worried, I could have died!

As I was escorted out, I felt slightly dizzy as I rode in the wheelchair. As soon as the hospital doors opened, the sun almost blinded me. I didn't notice that I'd been sleeping for quite a while.

I stared out the car window the whole ride and looked into my bizarre hometown.

"What is this place called," I asked.

My dad who was driving, frowned, still not getting used to me asking these kinds of questions.

"Reddrough, we live in Reddrough," he said.

I never knew that where I lived could be so glorious. There laid a park filled with cherry blossom trees and gardens filled with sunflowers, red roses, orchids, black-eyed Susans, and tulips where monarch butterflies circled each and every one of them with the honey bees. The streets were busy with people with different perspectives. One man in a suit with a briefcase, having a phone call. A woman walking her golden retriever who keeps sniffing the ground. Another woman with a stroller, carrying a 2-year-old boy who is watching a silly cartoon and laughing along. I looked up at the tall and slender buildings that reached the sky and seemed to be as big as the Grand Canyon. Seeing them also filled me with distress since I'm starting to develop a fear of heights, in other words: falling.

Later, we rode down a plain road that contained no buildings and no people, just thousands of oak trees. Crows flew back and forth through the thin opening above the trees. The sun gave the landscape very little sunlight due to the loaded atmosphere. Finally, we took a right on a curvy path and arrived at a house, no wait, my house.

This was a bit of a sad moment for me because once we all got out of the car, my mom went over to me and said this is the house I grew up in. I tried to take a good look at the house to see if something hits me. The rusty brick material. The hazel-colored rooftop. The porch had a blue, yellow, orange, and white patterned porch swing with blue, yellow, orange, and white patterned cushions, red shiny chimes, and a colorful red and white bird feeder. I sighed. Nothing hit me. I guess even my childhood is unfamiliar to me.

I still don't recall anything as I took my first step into the house.

The living room was just like any other living room: a big couch with a medium-sized TV with a small table in front of it along with some cabinets and drawers around the couch and TV. The kitchen had many cabinets, a dining table for 4, and two white circular ceiling lights. To my left, I saw old photos of me and Kaitlin hanging on the wall. I seemed to have enjoyed wearing dresses and skirts, especially if they were pink. I looked at one image of young me holding a turtle, and another with me hugging this girl that looked very similar to Josie. I felt like crying again. I deeply wished that I could remember all of this including my family, my friends, my school, my house, and my childhood!

My parents noticed me staring at the photos and frowned and sighed. They knew how I was feeling. Kaitlin also noticed but wanted to lighten up the mood for once. I felt a hand grip my arm that dragged me upstairs.

"Come on! I'll show you your room," Kaitlin said as we headed off.

When I walked into my bedroom, I immediately widened my eyes. Everything was so aesthetic. My floor was wooden but was mostly covered with a light grey carpet. My bed looked soft and cozy with its fuzzy blankets and giant mushy white pillow with a small tabletop with a luxurious lamp. My walls were white covered in selfies of me and my friends and posters of boy bands. I had a white desk with stacks of notebooks, pencils, and picture frames with a shiver laptop charging in the center. I peeked at my closet which contained shirts that looked way too short for me and a cartload of pants with rips in them. I also realized that I had lots of Springfield High merchandise along with a place called Pine Hills.

"Pine Hills is where you've dreamt to go to college after you graduate," Kaitlin said as she saw me hold up a sweater with blue bold letters printed on it.

I looked at the sweater, then at Kaitlin, then at the sweater again, and said, "Is that so?"

I could tell that Kaitlin felt a bit awkward. She then made a nervous chuckle.

"I'm gonna head out now. If you need anything, let us know."

I felt some guilt as Kaitlin walked out and I don't even know why. Suddenly, I started to feel tired again so I tumbled into my warm, soft bed, still holding on to the sweater.

I felt deep solace from the bed and the sweater and began to think again. Not only do I not remember my past, but I forget my plans for the future and possibly have to start all of that over as well. It's as if I'm stuck in the present, acting completely clueless and addlepated. Was I letting everyone down? Why is my life so blank? I closed my eyes real tight and tried to think far back. I didn't care what memory my mind pulled out, I just needed to remember at least one memory. Just one!

Nothing. I hugged the sweater, thinking what was even the point of trying. I felt like crying before, but this time, I reached my breaking point and finally sobbed.