Silver bell ball

It was a quiet night in Mewni, the air rustled through the trees, creating a little melody that harmonized perfectly with the ambiental music playing downstairs. Star found her eyes in the mirror that stood before her, the image that looked back at her was one that her mother would be proud of. Her hair was curled in tight ringlets that fell to her elbows, a sparkling tiara sitting on her head and pinned with an excessive amount of hairpins to ensure it would not fall. The dress was one of many, but it went with the theme of the ball. Silky and drenched in sparkles, silver chiffon fell glamorously to her ankles. She wouldn't lie, she loved her dresses, each one of them was a gem and they all made her feel beautiful. But today was an important day, she had to show her mother that she was capable of behaving as heir to the throne of Mewni. Her fingers wrapped around her wand, holding it firmly, she gave it a shake and sprayed it around her, the sparkling pink mist dissolved, leaving a hint of wildflowers in her scent. She stood, taking one last look in the mirror, ensuring that she looked perfect, the earrings dangling in place, the necklace shiny and her smile rose, the hearts in her cheeks glimmering. She had a feeling today was going to be a great day.

The sliver bell ball commenced at 8 o'clock sharp, and there she was, standing behind her parents, waiting to do her entrance. Her mother looked at her, a soft smile forming at the corner of her mouth. The queen kissed her daughter's cheeks softly.

"How exciting, Star, your very first Silver bell ball." Star smiled back at her mother. "Have fun, will you?" She ended, walking back to her husband.

"Crush them all, darling!" Her father mouthed without turning completely. Then the trumpets began their announcement and the towering wooden doors parted. Star had played in the ballroom a few times before, but today it seemed like a whole new dimension. The giant windows had been thoroughly cleaned, letting in the moonlight and stars shine through. A few chairs had been arranged in the center of the room, leaving the adults sitting together. There were garlands of pearls and diamonds, a giant chandelier hanging from the ceiling and there was an empty chair. Besides the one she was meant to take, that is. Star tried her best to elegantly float to her chair as she had practiced so many times before. At least Ponyhead was there, Star's best friend since forever.

"Hey girl!" Her skirt sparkled as she floated in mid-air. "So what do you think of tonight's selection, hmm?" Ponyhead stared each boy through.

"I don't know Pony," Star herself began to look at the boys in front of her, she spotted her cousin and tried a wave, but he simply turned his head away. "Yeah, he hasn't changed." Forcing herself not to slump back into her chair she asked her friend, "hey, do you know who's missing?" Ponyhead squinted her eyes dramatically.

"The devil himself." Then she burst out laughing. "Okay, okay, for real, but you should've seen your face!" She continued laughing but was cut short as the floor began to shake. The diamonds in the chandelier rattled and the balcony on the opposite side of the room burst into flames. Star let out a grasp, as did the other girls and boys in the room. From that fire emerged three figures, a tall and broad one followed by two shorter and slimmer ones. "They're the Lucitors," Pony whispered in her ear.

The great shadows finally came into view and the fire died down as if it had never even been there.

"Oh wow." Star's eyes would've been shaped as little hearts if that were possible.

"Wow girl, drool much?" Ponyhead laughed but nudged her friend encouragingly. Right.

"Ladies and gentlemen, now that we're all here, I would like to thank you all for your presence. Today we celebrate our children's forest Silver Bell ball, which will commence shortly." Her mother was a natural at all these parties and speeches things that Star had to work double on. "Do enjoy yourselves, the dancing will commence as soon as the moon shines through the crystal bell." With that, the crystal bell was lowered right on top of the previously burnt balcony. They all stood, parents, catching on to their kingdom's latest gossip or whatever it was that adults did, and for them, well- Ponyhead for one was traumatizing all the young males along with some of the other girls, while some simply kept to themselves. Anyway, Star was left behind. She sighed profoundly, slouching her shoulders a little and not caring enough to straighten. Slowly, she left for the balcony, maybe some fresh air would do her good.