Part 5

Minjeong tightly closes the lid of the thermos and hands it back to the man waiting in her small living room.

"Thanks, Doctor," he says, giving her a crooked smile which displays some of his missing teeth.

"Don't mention it, Ahjussi. Thank you for clearing my walkway."

"It's the least I could do for you." The man puts the warm thermos in his large jacket pocket, puts on his scarf and gloves and bids Minjeong goodbye. "Call me if you need anything, Doctor."

"Will do, Ahjussi."

Minjeong walks the man to the door, waves goodbye and watches until he's disappeared down the street.

She shivers thanks to the cold and is about to go back inside when a car she recognizes to be the village head's stops right in front of her freshly shoveled walkway.

With her eyebrows raised, she quickly grabs her coat and walks out to greet him only to get the shock of her life.

Stepping out of the car are Karina and Erica, helped by the village head himself.

"Mimin!" the girl shouts when she sees the blonde, breaking into a run.

"Careful! It's slippery!" warns the man who's now taking out two carry-ons from the trunk of his car.

Minjeong rushes to greet the girl, laughing then sighing contentedly when she has her in her arms, the longing now sated. "What are you doing here?" she asks.

"Merry Christmas!"

"Huh?"

"It's Christmas tomorrow so Mommy said that we should bring you your present!"

"Oh?" Minjeong lifts her head and stands up, observing the brunette walking towards her. "So this is your idea?" she asks her when she's finally close enough.

If the village head wasn't there, Minjeong would've pulled Karina into a warm and tight hug but since he's still there, dragging both carry-ons inside her rented house, there's nothing she can do but smile.

"Of course. Brilliant, isn't it?" retorts Karina who's also grinning from ear to ear. "Surprised?"

"Very."

After thanking the village head and giving him some vitamin drinks, Minjeong takes a couple of minutes to show Karina and Erica her tiny one-room abode then plops down on the heated floor.

The inquisitive girl starts asking questions about where the kitchen and bed are, having never seen a one-room house like this one before.

"And where do you watch TV?" is her final question.

"Right here as well," says the blonde, laughing at how confused the girl is. "You see, Erica, not everyone has big houses or apartments with rooms. Some families live in a one-room house just like this one. I'll show you how to take the bed out when it's time to sleep." Minjeong then looks at Karina. "Have you guys eaten?"

Karina nods. "We ate in the train."

"I see. Do you want something warm to drink?" Minjeong gets up from her seat. "Coffee? Hot chocolate?"

"Hot chocolate!" exclaims the girl, raising her hand.

"Coffee please," says Karina.

"Alright. One coffee and one hot chocolate coming right up. You can unpack if you want or if you want to sleep, the mattresses and blankets are in there." Minjeong points at a wardrobe at the far corner.

An hour later, they find themselves sitting across from each other, watching the girl who's taking a nap.

"She's exhausted, isn't she?" asks Minjeong as she gently strokes the girl's hair.