Chapter 38: The Rivers temper

October 24th

From my bedroom window, I watched Conall arrive. He was accompanied by two men, who both eyed him closely but they led him down the drive without any words. With his hands in his pockets and a slouch in his usually straight shoulders, he approached the door, his feet dragging behind him.

Leo answered the door and I tucked my hair behind my ears, listening carefully.

"Good evening, Conall. It's a pleasure to finally meet you in civil circumstances," he said.

"First of all," Conall began, "You are not entitled to my respect. I will not shake your hand until you've earnt it, no matter who you are. Second, I am only here to see my sister. And third, we are never going to be buddies. Drop the smile, drop the act and just show me to her."

I smiled to myself at the harsh, clear tone of his voice and Leo's following silence.

"You will see her soon, but first I need to speak to you in my office," Leo said eventually, "Follow me."

"Why?" Conall grunted.

"Goddess, you are so much like her," Leo replied, "I have a few questions for you. Nothing to be nervous about. But if you want to see Nelda tonight, I suggest you follow me."

Still dragging his feet, Conall reluctantly followed Leo into his office before the door shut and like usual, the stereo began to play.

I had to wait patiently – while pacing up and down the room and muttering to myself.

Eventually, Leo's footsteps came down the hall.

"Am I allowed to see my own brother now?" I asked, folding my arms as he came into the bedroom.

"Yes but get rid of the attitude," he said pulling my arm from its fold, and tightly taking my hand, "I am in a god-awful mood."

"I take it you and Conall aren't besties yet?"

He looked back at me, his eyes narrowing.

"Not exactly."

When we got downstairs, Leo held the door to his office open for me. Conall sat on Leo's desk, a glass of scotch in his hand as he looked at disdain at all the photos on the wall. When his eyes met mine, his face softened and he leapt up.

"Nelda," he said as I fell into his arms.

He placed one hand on my head and the other arm around my shoulders as he squeezed tightly.

"You have no idea how good it is to see you," he said, "How are you?"

I shrugged, "I've been better."

"You're his Luna now, huh?"

I swallowed, "Conall-"

"Just assure me it was consensual and we will never speak about it again."

I nodded again, "It was consensual. I regret it, but he didn't force me."

His eyes burning into Leo, Conall gave a slight nod, "Okay."

"I would never force her," Leo said.

"I'm sure you can understand why I find that hard to believe," Conall said, his voice grating his words with spite.

Leo gave a fleeting nod.

"I'll be in the living room if you need me, Nelda," he said before backing from the office

"Your mate is insufferable," Conall said the second the door was shut.

I sighed and dropped down into one of the seats, "Tell me about it. What did he want to talk to you about?"

After taking a glug of his scotch, he pursed his lips, "Your wolf."

My breath hitched.

"What did you tell him?" I asked.

"The truth. That I don't know anything more than you."

I nodded, "He wants answers that don't exist."

"Mom told us not to tell a soul. Why does he even know about it?"

"He suspected something was up so he injected me with wolfsbane," I explained, "Then he figured out I couldn't shift. No one would choose to endure that if they had a choice."

Conall froze, his face flushing pink.

"He did what?"

"Wolfsbane," I said, pointing to the small bruise on my neck where the needle had done in, "Right there."

With that, Conall slammed down his scotch glass and marched out of the office.

"Wait, wait, wait," I said, running after him, "Don't do anything stupid."

But before my words could even sink in, he was in the living room lurching at Leo. Of course, Leo caught his flailing fist and drove him into the wall, shaking the entire house. His fingers wrapped around Conall's throat, and he let out a low snarl.

"I can let your disrespect slide, but do not try to attack me," Leo growled.

Conall's face turned from red with anger to purple with lack of oxygen in seconds.

"Understood?"

Only turning more violet, Conall kept his lips sealed. Leo squeezed tightly, smashing his body against the wall.

"Leo, stop," I said, tugging at his arm, "Let him go."

"I said understand," Leo hissed, ignoring me.

Still Conall stayed silent.

"Leo, you're going to kill him!" I said, trying to slip between them, "Leo!"

Only when Conall's eyes began to droop shut and his face was blue did Leo let go. Conall dropped to the floor, gasping for air as I fell beside him.

"What the fuck, Leo?!" I shouted, pulling Conall's head onto my lap.

"He'll be fine," Leo replied, standing over us.

"You nearly choked him!"

I placed my hands on Conall's face as the blood came back to his skin and his breathing slowed.

"I know you can defend yourself without violence," I hissed, "You wanted to hurt him."

Leo shook his head, "I needed to show him some authority before he does something stupid with his hate for this pack like your father did."

With that, Leo strode from the room, leaving me to bring Conall around.

As soon as he could stand again, he got to his feet, hugged me tightly and whispered in my ear.

"This isn't over."

With his shoulder's tense and his stride long, He left the house.