Chapter 1 ASH

August 1st 2102 9:00am

         "Have a great first day at work!" Maggie called from the kitchen as I was leaving.

I chuckled quietly to myself. 'Yeah right' I thought. I can tell you with absolute certainty that my sister couldn't care less about my first day at work. Please, she had gotten a good laugh out of humiliating me and scaring all my friends away. Today, she just wanted to cuddle up in a blanket and watch TV all day long. 

         She was absolutely giddy for me to leave. I could only imagine what she had planned for me this time. She even opened the door for me, and practically pushed me out, slamming and locking the door behind me. I sighed, quickly checked myself for notes or photos stuck to my back, nothing. I guess I'm going to have to figure out what twisted trick she had pulled on me now. 

          I shoved Maggie out of my head, I mean, I knew Maggie didn't care about my first day as an archaeologist, but I certainly did! I was so excited to finally uncover the 2nd Herculaneum disaster! I often spent hours daydreaming about what happened, laying in my bed making up fantasies. I secretly imagined there were some survivors. I know, I know, I'm being illogical. I think. I just wish there was some way to figure out exactly what happened. Which is why I decided to become an archaeologist. 

          I want to find out. No, I need to find out. More than anything, I need to find out what happened that day on August 14th 2079. More than 35 years later and we were only now able to uncover it. To be fair, we didn't find out about it until about 7 years ago, and they needed time to uncover the top layer of ash and get all the resources for it. I'm so excited to uncover everything. It's really sad how many people died though. 

          Oh yeah, that's the part I'm not looking forward to. All the bodies. I sighed, leave it to me to find all the bad things in a wonderful opportunity...