Chapter 13

"So, now you're regretting it," Grim said dryly as the sun began to fall in the sky. Tibalt scowled as he kicked a rock down the road, and Grim almost smiled.

"I know it would have been next to impossible to prove Innes's innocence without finding the culprit," Tibalt admitted, though he hated it. "Especially if the hurricane didn't start inside of the town."

"You think it was a normal hurricane now?" Grim asked, and Tibalt sighed as he turned to walk backwards.

"I think everything smells off," Tibalt replied as he shoved his hands in his pockets. "Don't you?"

"I think it's pretty strange that two shields broke simultaneously," Grim allowed as Elmer got distracted with an open air stall. Angel was doing his best to herd her and failing miserably. Ah, youth.

"So do I. It would have had to have been a magical attack, but..." Tibalt hesitated on his next words. It didn't seem like something to discuss outside. "I don't know. Nothing is lining up."

"That's what an investigation is for. When things don't line up," Grim reasoned, and Tibalt frowned at the ground.

"Listen, I know I'm smart, and I know Elmer was probably joking, but..."

"You're book smart, Tibalt," Grim said earnestly. "That's not a bad thing. Of course we're going to back you up."

Ah. There was the Grim Tibalt was more familiar with. Tibalt knew he was smart when he wasn't stressed. There had been times in his life he had questioned, but how could anyone be smart when their brain was overwhelmed with impending bills and food and not getting fired when they were dead tired? How could anyone be smart in the middle of a pandemic, knowing damn well their family wasn't being safe? Tibalt's last days had been full of fear and looming apprehension. It was virtually impossible to run on anything but instincts.

He was feeling a lot better nowadays, but he had almost forgotten what dread tasted like. It was back now, but... it was manageable this time. He'd had a long time to get his thoughts together. The self imposed quarantine hadn't been without reason. Tibalt had almost forgotten how to be a person. To him, it was an all expenses paid vacation, where he could learn whatever the hell he wanted, do whatever the hell he wanted. If he had a year without worrying about bills or going to work or the next meal, what could he have done? He had never managed stress well, and when it piled up the way it did, he felt like he was drowning. There had never been a lesson on how to swim. He had to figure it out, and he did it wrong, probably.

He took advantage of the opportunity at his fingertips, and he didn't regret that it took so long. He was feeling insecure now, but that would pass. Nothing lasts forever, not even the bad.

"Thanks," he managed to get out. "I probably needed to hear that."

Responsibility was a lot less crushing now.

"You're such a weird person," Grim mused, and Tibalt frowned up at him.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Exactly as I said. You're weird," Grim shot back, and Tibalt inhaled sharply.

"You were so sweet two seconds ago."

"Well, people are varied. Clearly."

"And what does that mean?"

"I mean..." Grim hesitated, and then pursed his lips. He was looking at Tibalt strangely, and it made something prickle at Tibalt's skin. "I don't know. You're just strange, that's all. You're smart enough to be a savant, but you stick with artificing even though you'll never pass the test to be considered on their level. You give away objects that would cost a fortune to total strangers, like you have no idea what their cost is. You act so confident, but the second you're responsible for something, you clam up and need reassurance, even though you're perfectly capable of managing. I mean..."

"You mean I'm insecure and try to play it off like I'm not," Tibalt said, entirely unamused by the cold, hard read he was entirely unprepared for.

"I wouldn't go that far. I mean, it's like you..." Grim trailed off as he stared down at the now-still Tibalt. "I offended you. I'm sorry."

"Well, I'm easily offended," Tibalt said archly and turned on his heel to keep marching down the street. "And you like the taste of your own foot."

"Tibalt, I didn't mean it like that," Grim protested and rushed to catch up with him. "I just... I don't know what to do with you, and I'm trying to figure it out, okay?"

"Do you need to do something with me?" Tibalt asked. Bitterness was already roiling in his gut.

"I meant it when I said I wanted you in my party," Grim said, and a hand wrapped around Tibalt's arm to pull him to a halt. "I just... I'm used to being with my brothers. I changed the twins' diapers. So, not knowing someone I spend day and night with and have to trust with my career is... it's difficult, okay? I don't really know what I'm doing."

Ah. That was it.

Tibalt had almost forgotten Grim came from a big family, and this was the first time in his life he wasn't working with other Farettis. And he was the eldest brother. He could probably read every last one like the back of his hand and immediately adjust or clear the air. But Tibalt had always been intentionally difficult. And accidentally, if he was being honest.

"I've been... alone for a long time," Tibalt admitted, and then swallowed. "Before even the tower. And I had to pretend I was someone else when I was around... most people."

"Is that your diplomatic way of saying you don't know what you're doing, either?" Grim asked, and Tibalt's lips twitched up.

"A little bit."

"Well, if that's the case, maybe we have stuff to learn from each other," Grim said, and Tibalt took a deep breath as Elmer darted to some food stall behind them, Angel in tow, talking a mile a minute.

"Maybe?" he said weakly, and offered Grim a half hearted grin.

"You don't sound very confident."

"Well, are you?"

"Never."

Tibalt snorted, and pulled his arm out of Grim's grasp.

"We have an early day tomorrow. We should probably get Elmer back on task."

"Nah, let her run wild. She likes street food," Grim said, and turned to continue sauntering down the street. "But you've got a thing about fish, so we should find something else to eat."

"I do not!"

"Yeah, sure," Grim called, and lifted a hand to wave behind him. "Whatever you say, Red!"

Something in Tibalt's gut fluttered, and he considered leaving him in spite.

Nah. He kind of liked this.