Chapter 24: Split Up

-Internship Arc, November 22nd, 2004-

Recovering from the incident during the battle royale. Shu wakes up in Muramasa's realm.

Shu: How'd I get here?

Muramasa: What was that?

Shu: What do you mean?

Muramasa: If you wanted power, I'm right here. You also have Masamune. So what the hell was that angel shit you were doing?

Shu: I'm sorry...I don't think I was in control of myself.

Muramasa: That Mari girl was right. You're doing too much at once. Tone it down.

Shu: I can't do that. My goal takes priority.

Muramasa: If that's true then why are you hanging out with these friends at all?

Shu: I have no friends. Just people who I can use to get stronger.

Muramasa: Is that how you really feel?

Shu: Why would I lie? If I continue to help them, they can grow and leave me behind so I can do my own thing without having them worry about me.

Muramasa: Shu!

Shu: Make sure to get our skill tree up, buddy. I'm gonna wake up.

As Shu leaves the realm, Muramasa sits down and looks at the ground.

Muramasa: Following the same path she did. Goddamnit...!

Waking up in a bed, looking to his left, Mari was sitting in a chair looking out of the window.

Shu: What're you doing here?

Mari: Oh! You're awake, thank goodness.

Shu: How long was I out?

Mari: Two days and three nights.

Shu: Hmm. Unfortunate.

As he tried to get up, she put her hands on his chest and pushed him back down.

Mari: You probably shouldn't be moving...!

Shu: Come on, I get it's THAT kind of moment with just us two but I already know what you wanna say to stop me from leaving.

Mari: What do you mean?

Shu: Hah. You like me in a way more than friends. You, Akane, and Asuri are all women who feel that way.

Mari: Shu...

Shu: As of right now, I'm focused on my goal.

Mari: W-wait, I promise I could help you if you gave me a chance before those other girls!

Shu: Jeez, I didn't know you were so self-absorbed.

Mari: Is it a yes...?

Shu: *Sigh* Sure, why not. I'll be your little boyfriend. Now let me get out of here.

Mari: Nope. Now we spend a great time together!

Shu: What..?

Mari: I've got this really neat book we could read together.

Shu: Jeez...

Hours pass. Shu and Mari walk to the lobby of the training facility where everyone else was.

Arthur: Glad to see you awake, Shu.

Shu: Hmph.

Arthur: Hmm. I appreciate all of you for training on these internships but it's not over yet. Your head master has informed me that it was alright to keep you here with us for our next operation.