Chapter 5 - Matches

The pattering of shoes upon the hardwood pub floor was loud in my ear

The pattering of shoes upon the hardwood pub floor was loud in my ear. I couldn't see anything, there wasn't a single crack to peak through in the door. However, I could tell there was more than one person walking in.

I could hear the scuffing of wood on the floor, they were pulling out a chair to sit in I'd imagine.

Then I heard a man clear his throat, "Seems you're expecting us?"

"Heard a few of your men were spotted on the far side of town. I'm not one to take chances.", Tommy was smoking, I could hear the heaviness of smoke in his throat. I could only imagine how tense he looked sitting in the bar chair, but I know he carried himself in a collected way.

"Well then I guess we'll cut to the chase. Your business partners were seen at my stables last night... I'd imagine messing with one of my steeds.", there was a clink that sounds like a glass hitting the table - they were drinking too I'd imagine. Tommy being the brilliant host he is had probably set out a drink or two for his guests.

The familiar sound of glass on wood reminded me of the drink I had brought into my confined space. I gulped down the rest of what was in my glass, the lukewarm gin did a mediocre job at chasing my nerves away. My nerves were running mad as if I was involved in the discussion taking place outside of the door. I could only imagine how these men feel, but I know men of that caliber tend to get a high off the adrenaline from these moments.

"You'll have to be more specific than that, I don't really have business partners. Unless you mean my blood, but I was with them last night so I know that's not the case." Tommy's voice was steady, confident, and his words were always well spaced out as he spoke. He did a good job at sounding professional for his ratty reputation.

"You've never done business with the Clark's?", I could smell the smoke wafting my direction. Making me crave a cigarette myself, the inside of my mouth was watering from the effect.

"Mhm. I suppose in the past.", Tommy's nonchalant response to this man's dire tone made it seem as if Tommy didn't have a worry in the world - and I could believe it.

"Well from my side of things, that makes you all business partners.", the man's voice was rough and he was beginning to craft his own courage. I could feel the heat in the air.

There was silence in the room for a moment, I imagined they sipped their drinks and huffed on their cigarettes.

"Tell the Clark's not to go near my stock... and tell your men we're not scared of the Peaky fucking Blinders.", he was giving Tommy an ultimatum. I wonder what Tommy's face looked like in this moment, if he was getting angry or keeping his cool.

I reached for my pack of smokes and matches, ready to take away my stress the same as them - though compared to their lives I had nothing to stress about. I placed the delicate cigarette between my lips and felt the edge of my match box, looking for the rough patch to spark the friction. My match touched the side of the box. I was careful to slide the stick with hard enough pressure to spark a flame on the match, but was being delicate enough to not break the stick itself. The small flame allowed me to see in the dark for a quick second, but as my hand extended a little too far from the strike I thudded my hand against the door that was in front of me. A slight knock occurred from my motion and I held my breath in hopes that they didn't hear the noise I had made.