Chapter 8: Get Across the Lake and You'll be Fine

CHAPTER 8: GET ACROSS THE LAKE AND YOU'LL BE FINE

Chris shook his head, making Jinxx tilt his head to the left.

"I'm not drinking anything," Chris said, a slight smirk appearing on Jinxx's face now.

He gave a bit of a laugh and shifted his position a slight bit.

"Let me guess," he said. "Andy warned you not to take the tea."

Chris narrowed his eyes at the madman at the opposite end of the table; he clearly knew who Andy was, but that wasn't about to throw Chris off his game.

"I'm just being cautious," Chris reassured, his tone coming out a bit bitter as the suspicion remained on his face.

Jinxx just smiled in amusement, looking over at where Chris was at the other end of the table.

"So Andy's still after the rabbit it seems," he stated as he subtly changed the subject, shaking his head as he linked his fingers together. "He told you why he wants that little white creature?"

"He said it was something to do with Juliet."

Jinxx gave a bit of a nod as he leant back into his chair a bit and regarded Chris from afar.

"Indeed it does; he tell you what happens when he gets the rabbit?" he asked, clearly already knowing how Chris was going to answer. Chris stayed silent and Jinxx gave an amused laugh. "You know why he's avoided your little...question Chris? Do you?"

Chris shook his head and Jinxx's half-smirk replaced the amused smile on his face.

"The fact remains, that he doesn't know," Jinxx continued, making Chris frown again as he thought over what the man was saying. "Andy doesn't know what's gonna happen when he catches that cute little rabbit; he doesn't answer because he doesn't have one."

"He doesn't know what to do when he gets the rabbit?"

Jinxx shook his head.

"Nope," he said with a bit of a laugh, making Chris look at him strangely. "Mr. Andy doesn't know what'll happen when he gets his hands on that little creature."

"Then why's he obsessing over catching it?" Chris asked with confusion.

Jinxx gave a lazy shrug and waved his hand to dismiss it.

"Who knows? That boy's been even more lost than you since his world was taken away from him," he said, rolling his eyes. "That boy doesn't understand that there's nothing he can do to get his precious treasure back; Juliet's long gone."

"Andy seems determined to get her back though."

This just made Jinxx scoff.

"So what?" he said, looking at Chris and making him feel a bit uneasy again. He shook his head and looked away. "That boy won't ever learn. He thinks he can just find that rabbit and it'll magically help him get his girlfriend back, but that's not the way it works I'm afraid."

"Then how does it work?" Chris queried, the curiosity showing in his tone.

Jinxx's gaze switched back to him and he smiled.

"Curiosity killed the cat Chris; always asking the questions," he said, a slight bit of excitement and cheer in his tone. His eyes sparkled as he leant forwards and spoke again. "The thing here, is that you never know what might happen; that's the magic of Wonderland."

He winked at Chris and leant back into his chair again. Chris sighed.

"Alright, well thanks for nothing then," he said. "I've gotta head off and see where Andy's gotten himself to."