Chapter 29: Diversion

CHAPTER 29: DIVERSION

"Tell me something sweetheart; you can't open that door...can you?"

Juliet looked up upon hearing someone speak; startled. Matt watched her from his position up against the wall near her window; it was dark outside by now and Juliet found herself frowning. Matt cleared his throat as he kept his hands in his pockets and pushed off the wall.

"I know for a fact that the queen bitch isn't in the slightest bit happy with you," he said, strolling over to her bedside table, Juliet watching him cautiously the entire time; Matt was unpredictable and she didn't wish to be caught out if he did something. "So it must've been a serious crime if she's actually locked you in this time; most times the door's unlocked. Closed, but unlocked."

"What do you want Matt?" Juliet asked from her position on her bed, the other side to where Matt was now inspecting something on her bedside table. "Why're you in here?"

Matt paused and looked to her, hands still in pockets. He gave her a slight smile, clearly trying to seem as non-threatening as he could as he moved his shirt out of the way slightly, revealing a set of the guard's keys.

"Would you look at that? How'd that get there?"

"Seriously Matt, what do you want?" Juliet pushed for an answer; she still didn't trust him.

"Oh, not much; just giving it a bit of time," he said, walking around her bed and making Juliet move back again, closer to the headboard this time as he got to the desk in her room.

"Giving what time?" Juliet asked suspiciously.

Matt glanced over his shoulder at her as he moved a few pieces of paper over and continued to look through what was on her desk.

"If I told you that, it wouldn't be a secret now, would it?" he asked with an amused smile appearing on his lips. "But really, give it a few more seconds and you'll start to hear the commotion; that's when your door magically unlocks itself from the outside, and I won't be anywhere to be seen. Maybe you'll even be able to find Andy down in the dungeons right at the end of the cells; not that I'd know where he is, or tell you for that matter."

Matt gave her another amused smile before he just disappeared into the shadows; gone.

'~'~'~'~'~

Maria violently pushed back the makeshift curtain, the anger clear on her face.

"What do you mean she's gone again!?" she screeched, everyone flinching at her tone, even Ronnie this time. "Who the fuck let Alice out?"

She looked at the guard that'd come down to tell her that Alice was indeed missing.

"You were on guard down there; correct me if I'm wrong," Maria continued, the guard avoiding her gaze. "How did she get out?!"

The guard stayed silent and Maria growled in annoyance, looking to Ronnie. She grabbed Ash from him and looked around at the few guards she had down here.

"You lot had better find her; I want every available guard out there looking," she snapped. "You have twenty-four hours or else someone might just end up with the dogs like last time someone went missing; make you damn choice!"

The few guards nodded quickly and rushed away; they didn't wish to be in the doctor's surgery any longer than they had to, but they knew that now their lives were at stake. Maria looked to Ronnie.

"You're lucky you're so fucking valuable to me," she growled, Ronnie just looking at her; Ash saw the hint of anger in his eyes though. "I want you to go with them; anyone that doesn't work to the best of their abilities to get that bitch back are as good as dead. I don't even care if they somehow don't make it back to the castle; just find her before she ruins everything!."