II

...

"Is that-" Suna began.

You panicked. There wasn't much else you could've done. You had dated Craig for 2 years, but you broke up with him, and he'd decided to ruin your reputation, your friendships, the hoodies you'd lent him. Everything. And even after that, he'd still been persistent, trying to get back with you. He ruined you. He'd taken your spark and dumped a gallon of water over it. You had already transferred schools once because of him, and you didn't want to do so again.

You didn't know what else to do, so you ran.

"Wait, Y/N! I thought you were riding the bus..." Suna called after you.

You ignored him and ran. You ran until you finally caught hold of yourself.
You sighed as you looked around your surroundings to see where you'd ended up. An empty playground with bright colors that had been faded by the sun.

It wasn't unlike you to run away from situations that had you troubled. Plus, you never wanted to see that dick's face again. You could handle seeing Suna's because, as he'd said, he didn't do anything wrong. But Craig? He did.

"Why is this happening to me?" you groaned out as you sat on a swing that was far too low to the ground. Heavy breaths and loud steps trodded up to where you sat, kicking your feet in the dirt and pebbles.

"Y/N," he breathed, "what the fuck were you thinking."

"Why did you follow me? You had no reason to."

"Trust me, I don't want to be around that jerk anymore than you do."

"So you decided to follow me?"

"Listen, I know you don't want to be around me...I don't know why...but now that you've run away and created a big scene, I'm pretty damn sure that Craig knows who you are and that you're still bothered by him."

You hadn't thought about how you would create a scene by running. But Suna was right, he was probably well aware of your existence now if he hadn't been before.

In that moment you remembered all of the hurtful things Craig had said and done to you, how he still tried to put his hands all over you after you'd told him to fuck off, and all you could feel was rage. An anger inexplicable welled in your gut. And it was then that you'd made up your mind. You wanted revenge.

You'd waited for him to strike again for so long, and now here he was, probably planning your downfall or...maybe ways to pick you up...as you spoke. There was only one thing that could keep him coming back to you, despite his mind games, his rumors, everything. He was still in love with you. He wanted you to be scared, and you had given him just that by running away. But what would he do if you had, hypothetically, found someone else? Someone with much more potential, visible to the naked eye.

"Suna," you began, "I need you to help me."

"If you want my help, I want an explanation as to why you left."

"I'll explain later, just please..."

"Fine, but I want a detailed explanation, tonight, got it?"

"Yeah, got it."

"What can I even do to aid you in this situation?"

"Date me."

The words sounded silly coming out of your mouth, and you could already sense his reaction.

"What? How's that gonna help?" His mouth was agape as he stared you down with suspicion.

"He still loves me. He went through all the trouble of moving schools just to be near me, again. He's obsessed."

"So you're saying that if we were to date, he'd be upset?"

"Bingo."

"I mean, we won't even have to date. We'll fake date, of course," you blushed realizing what you'd just said, and tried to correct it.

"Well, what am I gonna get out of it?" he said as he stood up.

"What do you want?"

"I want to piss him off too, I guess. A while back he stole my volleyball bag. But maybe I could get some money out of it, too?" he raised his eyebrows as he looked towards you.

"That works, how much?" you stood up, too.

"Twenty a week. And I would still like an explanation from you."

"Deal."

You started to walk with Suna by your side. You stared at the ground hard, 'what did I just get myself into...'

"So...how are we going to go about this?" he broke the silence.

"Um, I'm not too sure."

"Well, let's establish some boundaries, first," he began, "no physical touch unless it's necessary in convincing others that we're dating."

"Yeah. I agree, but we also need to make it clear that we're 'dating,'" you air quoted the last word as you said it.

"Well, that's a given."

"So how about we spend lunch together once a week? There will be people around to witness it, and we won't have to be too intimate."

"Yeah, that sounds normal, doesn't sound like too much of a hassle, either."

"Yeah, and I don't know...we'll just say 'hi' in the hallways when we see each other."

"Alright."

It was going to be a bit pricey, since you were only a high school student, after all, but this would work. You would make do with it and you would get back at Craig. Even though you had to establish somewhat of a relationship with Suna, again.

"How far is your house? Do you need to call someone to pick you up?" he asked.

"No, I'll just walk it isn't too far."

It was far. Very far. But you didn't want him to worry or anything.

"Do you want me to walk with you?"

"No thanks, I'd honestly prefer to be alone, right now."

"Then I'm going this way," he said as he pointed to the left of a 4-way stop.

"Fine by me."

"See ya, Y/N. And you'd better unblock me to explain, tonight."

"Yeah, yeah. Bye, Suna," you waved him goodbye and continued straight.

It would be a long walk back to your house, but it's better than worrying people. Plus you figure that you could use some steps.

You take your earbuds out of your pocket and plug them into your phone. You decide to listen to white wine by Lil Peep.

I wonder how this fake dating situation will work itself out.

...