3. How Is He Not Feeling This Way

Thursday, September 4      

As Jack opened his eyes he knew something was off. "Morning sleepy head, looks like you slept well." Rusty smiled as Jack's face turned red. "Oh sorry" Jack said, a little embarrassed that he slept on Rusty's shoulder. "For what?" Rusty asked stupidly as he put his phone down beside him. "For sleeping on your shoulder" Jack stated as his face faded into a shade of dark pink. "Huh, I never noticed. All I remember is watching South Bark and falling asleep." Rusty lied. 

He remembered it all. He remembered putting his phone away for him. He remembered falling asleep with him by his side. He remembered smiling at the young Jack Russell beside him as he fell asleep. The truth was was that he remembered every last moment because it was one of the best moments of his life but he threw it all away just to keep his reputation even though no one would ever know. 

Jack however was a little bit hurt by him not remembering. He knew that the Kelpie remembered. He knew that he remembered at least one thing. When he looked into his eyes as he said the words something changed. The moment didn't feel as special anymore. He felt like Rusty didn't really care about what happened. He felt like Rusty was just scared so he lied but it still hurt, it hurt like a thousand knives were thrown into his stomach.

"Come on, we have to get ready for school." Rusty sighed as he picked up his phone and walked out of the room.

Jack's blushed cheeks slowly faded away as Rusty walked out of the room. How did he not feel the same way? How did he not feel the bond? How could he lie just to keep his reputation intact. The questions might never be answered but all Jack knew was that he felt like Rusty didn't really care anymore. He knew that there was something more to the relationship they had but he gave it all up. Jack couldn't get his head around it but he still got up and went downstairs.

As the rest of the day went on something felt different. Rusty didn't seem as comfortable being around Jack. Like he was 𝘢𝘧𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘥 of him. He mainly spent his time talking to Mackenzie, Jean-Luc, Indy and Bluey. He never really looked at Jack either. Something was off about him, something was off about the whole day.

As he got off the bus he waved goodbye to Rusty but Rusty didn't wave back. Jack knew that he saw him so why did he ignore him? Rusty just looked at him but then he quickly looked away as if he was ashamed of something. Jack's face fell and his hand followed. Rusty looked back at Jack but then turned away again, just like he had done all day. Jack looked back at him and Dusty as they walked back to their house. One moment he seemed upset but the next he was fine, what was going on with him? Jack turned away from them and walked home by himself with his music playing in his headphones. As the songs continued it felt harder for Jack not to cry. He just wanted to know what was going on with his best friend. He hadn't really been the same since the fights but now it felt like the fights were going to start again. As he walked he listened to the lyrics more and they seemed to be telling him something. He felt as if it was a prediction of what would happen. He began to quicken his pace as he skipped the song. It moved onto Say Something by A Great Big World and he had reached his home. He opened the door and walked sorrowfully up the stairs. He quickened his pace again as small tears poured down his face. He closed the door to his room behind him and he threw his backpack to the side. He threw himself into the side of his bed and began to sob. He didn't want to end up the way it was before. He continued sobbing as the tears streamed down his face like waterfalls. This continued for hours after dark. He had managed to clean himself up for dinner but that was it. The rest of the night was rough. The scenarios and flashbacks wouldn't stop. Jack was a one man army, where was Rusty when he needed him the most? He waited for Rusty's message as usual but it never came. What went wrong...

As Rusty sobbed into his pillow he questioned himself. "What the fuck is wrong with me. I can't even keep my best friend, how am I supposed to keep my life together now. 

This had happened before last year and everything turned out okay but this year he was hesitant.

He wasn't sure if things were going to work out this time. 

This may have been the end of their friendship.