Chapter 01 - Regression

Li Huifen, known for his wisdom and fairness, saw his reputation crumble when he foolishly fell in love with someone who showed him no care or acknowledgement - the 'Mighty' Emperor himself.

Coming from a powerful Minister's family, Li Huifen had always been favoured as the cherished firstborn son. But unforeseen circumstances arose when he married the Crown Prince, soon to be Emperor.

Aware of the dangers lurking within the treacherous Royal Palace, Li Huifen's father grew increasingly concerned for his son's well-being.

Once married, the once wise and kind Li Huifen transformed into a desperate and despised Consort figure.

Matters worsened with the arrival of a certain Concubine, capturing the Crown Prince's attention.

The Crown Prince's infatuation blinded him to the wrongdoings surrounding the Concubine, while Li Huifen stood by, longing for attention. Exploiting his desperation, 'some' people framed him for various crimes, including poisoning the Beloved Concubine.

However, Li Huifen knew that any attempt to defend himself would only worsen his fragile position within the palace.

He found himself trapped in a deceitful web, surrounded by political rivals and heartless courtiers who took advantage of his vulnerability and unrequited love for the 'now' Emperor.

The mounting accusations left Li Huifen with no clear path to escape, and his life hung in a thread.

Li Huifen surrendered to the overwhelming pressure and made a tragic decision.

He gave up and... drank the poison willingly offered to him by the Emperor himself.

With that, he closed his eyes and finally had some peace in a while... 

Until...

.

.

.

"Consort, it is already morning. Please wake up and have breakfast," said a soft voice. 

'Hmm?'  I slowly opened my eyes, "Xiao Yi!? Why are you here? I thought I was dead..." 

I started to worry if Xiao Yi had been harmed. 'He didn't kill Xiao Yi after I died, did he?' I thought to myself. 

Xiao Yi looked confused and said, "Consort, did you have a bad dream? I knew it! Using the incense that Concubine gave you was probably a mistake." 

"What incense?" I asked, puzzled. 

Xiao Yi tilted her head and replied, "You know, Consort, it was a gift from Concubine Yue for your 25th birthday, which is today."

I furrowed my brow. 'That's impossible... I died when I was thirty,' I thought, turning to Xiao Yi. "Can you tell me what year it is today?"

"Huh? It's the year 561, Consort," she answered.

I was shocked. 'Ah, it seems like I've gone back in time.' 

'If today is my 25th birthday, then it's also the day I was humiliated by my husband and Concubine Yue,' I thought, feeling a mix of sadness and anger. 

I looked at Xiao Yi and asked her to prepare for a celebration. "Xiao Yi, can you make arrangements for a celebration?" 

She hesitated for a moment and said, "Are you sure, Consort? You didn't want any celebration before because you knew His Majesty wouldn't care." 

I sympathized with her and smiled. "I'm sure, Xiao Yi. Besides, His Majesty isn't the only family I have. We can celebrate with my parents, friends, and you. You're like family to me, Xiao Yi." 

"Oh, Consort, it's an honor to be considered your family. I'll prepare everything right away, Consort. If you'll excuse me," she happily responded. 

I chuckled and said, "Sure, you can go now," and she bowed. 

As Xiao Yi hurriedly left to make the preparations, I couldn't help but feel a mixture of excitement and apprehension. Today would be different. His Majesty and his beloved Concubine would visit.

"I must do something to change our unfortunate lives," I whispered to myself. "I'll bring back the glory we lost in the past, even if I have to do something evil..." 

Memories of the painful past flooded my mind, and a wave of sadness washed over me.