Chapter 04 - Maid

'General Huang Li...' I thought as I was walking to the door after the commotion the maid had caused.

'General Huang, second oldest son of Minister Huang, is the strongest warrior of the empire... and my former fiancé. Why is he acting like that? Does he know that I regressed?...' I suddenly stopped and slowly looked back at Huang Li. 'Maybe... just maybe he is the reason...'

"Consort Li!" I was pulled out of my thoughts and looked at who called me. It was Xiao Yi running towards me.

"Xiao Yi, why are you running?" I asked.

Xiao Yi, hands on her knees to steady herself, panted heavily. "Consort Li... hah... Consort..."

I put my hand on her shoulder to help her out. "Breathe slowly, Xiao Yi. Inhale... Exhale..." And she followed.

"Now, Xiao Yi, what is it?" I asked curiously.

She quickly looked up at me. "Consort! The Head Maid is dead!"

My eyes widened in shock. "What do you mean, Xiao Yi? How did this happen?"

Xiao Yi's face was pale as she struggled to catch her breath. "I found her in the garden, lying among the flowers. There was... there was blood, Consort."

I clenched my fists, trying to keep my composure. "Show me," I commanded.

Xiao Yi nodded and led the way, weaving through the hallways at a brisk pace. My mind raced with possibilities. The Head Maid was a trusted figure, respected by all. Who would dare to harm her?

We arrived at the garden, where a small crowd had gathered, whispering among themselves. As they parted to let me through, I saw her, the Head Maid's lifeless body sprawled on the ground, her eyes staring blankly at the sky.

I knelt beside her, my heart heavy with grief. "Xiao Yi, fetch the guards and inform the Minister. This must be investigated immediately."

As Xiao Yi ran off to carry out my orders, I examined the scene more closely. There were no signs of a struggle, no indication of who might have done this. But one thing was certain, this was no accident.

'Whoever did this knew what they were doing,' I thought grimly. 'And they must be brought to justice.'

Just then, I heard footsteps approaching. I looked up to see General Huang Li standing there, his expression unreadable.

"What happened here?" he asked, his voice low and controlled.

"The Head Maid has been murdered," I replied, unable to hide the anger in my voice.

Huang Li's eyes darkened as he looked at the body. "This is a grave matter. We must find the culprit."

I stood up, meeting his gaze. "Agreed. But tell me, General, what were you doing before this happened?"

Huang Li's expression didn't change. "I was inside the hall, as you know. I had no part in this, Consort Li."

I searched his eyes for any sign of deceit but found none. "Very well. But I will be watching you, General. If I find out you had any involvement in this, there will be consequences."

Huang Li nodded solemnly. "Understood. I will assist in any way I can to uncover the truth."

As the guards arrived and began their investigation, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to this than met the eye. The Head Maid's death, Huang Li's strange behavior, my own regression—it was all connected somehow.

'If Huang Li knows more than he's letting on, I will find out,' I vowed silently.

The night wore on, and the investigation continued. But deep down, I knew this was only the beginning of a much larger mystery, one that would test my resolve and reveal secrets long buried.