Chapter 08 - Argument

A hand was placed on the table, holding the paper files. "Ah, I see. You have done well enough, Consort Li," Emperor Zhao said, his tone unexpectedly dismissive.

"I think it's time for you to step back from this case," he continued, looking sharply at me.

'Did I hear that right? Step back?' I scoffed inwardly. "What do you mean, Your Majesty?"

He arranged the papers meticulously, as if the act of organizing them would bring order to the chaos unfolding around us. "You are my consort, not some investigator. You shouldn't involve yourself in matters that are not your concern."

"Not my concern?" I repeated incredulously. "The person who died was my head maid in my palace. How can you say it's not my concern?"

Emperor Zhao sighed, his patience clearly wearing thin. "What I'm saying is, stay out of trouble, and let the investigators handle this. It's their job."

I leaned forward, refusing to back down. "With all due respect, Your Majesty, the investigators may have their job, but so do I. My position demands that I protect those under my care. The head maid was not just a servant; she was a trusted member of my household. Her death affects me deeply and personally."

Emperor Zhao's eyes narrowed. "You are venturing into dangerous territory, Consort Li. Your duty is to the throne and to me, not to play detective."

"I am not playing detective," I retorted. "I am seeking justice. If the head maid was murdered, it is not just an attack on her, but an attack on the integrity and safety of our household. Ignoring this is not an option."

He shook his head, a mixture of frustration and exasperation etched on his face. "Your passion is commendable, but misplaced. The investigation is being handled by professionals. You must trust in their abilities."

"Trust?" I said, my voice rising slightly. "Trust must be earned. And right now, I see too many unanswered questions, too many loose ends. If I step back now, it will be like admitting defeat, like saying her life meant nothing."

Emperor Zhao's expression softened for a moment, but he quickly regained his stern demeanor. "Consort Li, your involvement only complicates matters. The court is a place of politics and intrigue. Every move you make is analyzed, and every action can have unintended consequences."

"Which is precisely why I must act," I insisted. "If I do nothing, it will be seen as a sign of weakness, of indifference. I cannot afford that, nor can you. The people must see that we care about justice, that we will not tolerate murder within our walls."

He paused, considering my words. "And what if your involvement leads to more danger? What if you become a target?"

"I am already a target," I replied, my voice resolute. "Every day I face threats and challenges. But I will not let fear dictate my actions. I owe it to the head maid, to her family, and to myself to see this through."

Emperor Zhao sighed deeply, rubbing his temples. "You are determined, I see that. But understand this, there will be consequences. Think carefully, Consort Li. The palace is a treacherous place, and not everyone will appreciate your... initiative."

A tense silence filled the room, our gazes locked in a silent battle. 'This man... but I can't disobey the Emperor's order.' I stood up. "Well then, I'll be on my way, Your Majesty," and bowed.

He nodded and gestured towards the door. I walked away, clenching my teeth, anger evident on my face. "Xiao Yi, let's go," I commanded. Xiao Yi walked over to me from the line of maids standing against the wall.

"Consort Li... are you alright?" she asked, her voice filled with concern.

I stopped and exhaled, looking at Xiao Yi. "Yes, I'm fine. Xiao Yi, can you prepare my bed? I think I need some rest."

"Yes, Consort Li," she replied, and we walked back to my palace.

As we entered the palace grounds, the Emperor's words echoed in my mind, each one a reminder of the limitations imposed upon me by my station.

Xiao Yi accompanied me to my chambers, her presence a source of comfort in the midst of turmoil. As she busied herself with preparing my bed, I sat down at my desk, lost in thought.

How could I continue my investigation without drawing the Emperor's anger? His words had struck a nerve, but I couldn't let them deter me from my mission.

Suddenly, a thought occurred to me. Perhaps there were other ways to gather information, discreetly and without arousing suspicion. I had allies within the palace, trusted servants who might be willing to lend their assistance.

"Consort Li," I heard Xiao Yi's call and looked. "Your bed is ready, Consort."

I stood up and walked to my bed. "Thank you, Xiao Yi," I said, smiling.

"No need, Consort. I shall take my leave," she bowed, and I nodded.

She slowly walked away, closing the doors quietly. As I lay down on my bed, exhaustion washing over me, 'I'll think about it later. I will... sleep for now...'