8

The days ticked by, and so did the score. Every time they scrimmaged during practice, races to the gym, or arguments, they all contributed to the score. Even though they seemed to be rivals, the two were growing closer, but they would never admit that they were friends.

The following week at practice, Daichi announced that there would be a practice game with another school. They were going to spend time working on the skills that they were each individually good at.

Kageyama and Sugawara set for most of the team, while Nishinoya, Daichi, and a couple of other guys were receiving. After they were done with that, they did a couple of drills and played a scrimmage game.

"Good work, you guys. Make sure to put the same amount of effort into your next practice. Come on, I'll treat you guys to meat buns," Daichi said.

"Yeah, thanks, man," Tanaka said.

The team walked over to the convenience store. Nishinoya was jumping up and down along the sidewalk, clearly excited for meat buns. When they got there, the clerk greeted Daichi. Apparently, they knew each other.

Daichi bought the meat buns, and they were passed out among the team.

"Still no coach?" the clerk said, blowing out a puff of smoke.

"Nope, they haven't found one," Daichi replied," but I think you would be a great candidate for the job."

"Come on, I already told you I couldn't," he replied.

"Why not? We have a practice game coming up soon and could really use some expert advice."

While they were talking, the rest of the team was stuffing their faces with meat buns and talking amongst each other.

After a while, Daichi clapped, and all attention turned to him.

"Attention, we have found a coach."

The team cheered loudly and clapped. They were told that Ukai had finally agreed to be their coach. They all celebrated and hung out in the store; there were few people in the store anyway, so it wasn't like they were bothering anyone.

The sun began to set, and the group walked back to their dorms to rest. Kageyama lay on his bed, not knowing what to do with his time. He picked up the book on his bedside table and decided to read before he got a call from his mother.

He answered and talked to her for a while before hanging up and putting his phone down. Kageyama had homework to do, but he wasn't really in the mood to do it; he would have plenty of time to do it another time.

The time moved by slowly but surely. Soon enough, Kageyama changed into his pajamas and got into bed to go to sleep. Time moved as slowly as ever. Tsukishima fell asleep with his headphones on, and Kageyama could hear him snoring lightly.

He tossed and turned, but Kageyama couldn't fall asleep. He stood up, put on a jacket over his clothes, and slid on his shoes before he exited the dorm quietly, as not to wake anyone.

Kageyama walked down the empty street to the park and found the bench where he and Hinata had sat before. He took a seat on the bench and looked up at the night sky. The cool night air burst into his cheeks, and he shivered at the cold.

In the sky, there were stars and constellations. The stars and the moon illuminated the sky and the ground below it.

Kageyama sat there staring at the half moon, his thoughts jumbled. School was stressful, and so was volleyball. He was put in the starting lineup as the setter. Even though it was just a practice game, Kageyama felt that it mattered a lot to everyone, and he wasn't going to fuck it up for everyone else. People already dislike him enough; he didn't want to give them any more reason to.

Sighing, he looked up at the sky and closed his eyes before standing up and making his way back to his dorm.