Chapter 12: So... He Stole Me

After seeing Pennet for the first time since the court room I couldn't run into him again and Ryan disappeared again and telling mom and stressing her out again. I couldn't do it not again... not again. So going with Zack was the only option.

   We sat with milkshakes in hand and looked out at the ocean from a place I had never been to even growing up in Florida my whole life.

   "Are we still not talking about it?" Zack asked sipping on his vanilla milkshake. 

   "I guess I kind of have to tell you about it now, huh?" My stomach knotted itself up into the tightest ball it had ever been in.

   He shook his head mid-sip "You don't have to. But I might be able to help better next time if I know at least the context."

   "Um... yeah so..." I took a long sip from my own milkshake and sighed. "He uh... he stole me last year."

   "Stole you?" Zack raised a brow. "From... Ryan?"

   "From everyone." I took another long drink and scratched my eyebrow even though it wasn't itchy.

   "He kidnapped you?" He clarified.

   "Well kidnapped sounds weird since we're the same age and everything I just... I didn't want to go with him, and he gave me a—a drink and I took it because he was apologizing and— I guess he did something to it. I idn't even what to go to the party but Ryan wanted me to go so I did and—"

   "Pennet drugged you?" He scoffed like he couldn't believe it but not like he didn't.

   "I guess." A lump formed in my throat.

   "You don't remember?"

   "It's... spotty. That's why he didn't get in trouble. He had a good defense." I choked on a laugh and sucked down another gulp to keep myself from crying. "They said I probably drank too much and didn't remember saying yes."

   "and Ryan just let him get away with that?" He shook his head as if that were impossible.

   "What was he supposed to do?" I asked. "I didn't want him to be in trouble over something that happened to me."

   "All right but you are his—you're his friend. Isn't he angry?" He demanded, his cup crinkling under his fingers.

   "He's the one that found me so... they had a bit of scuffle when he got to me. But... I just wanted to go home and he left when I asked him to."

   "Is there not some kind of protection order in place?" He dropped his cup into the cup holder.

   "No." I bit out, still bitter over it. "The courts wouldn't grant one."

   "So, no one did anything for you." He tapped his finger against the the center console.

   "They suspended their star quarterback for the second half of the semester last year." Fresh tears pressed at my eyes. I blinked them back. I didn't want to keep crying over it. It was over.

   "Last year?" He scoffed. "And no one told you that he would be coming back this year?"

   "I think they just assumed I'd expect it when they told me he'd only be suspended for the semester."

   "They could have warned you." He grumbled and dropped his head back. "Pampered..." he mumbled the rest under his breath.

   "Thank you for being there. I know you haven't known me that long and I've kind of just been taking up all of your time. You probably want more friends than just me, huh?"

   "I can make other friends if I want, Violet." He offered a smile. One without pity even though he knew now. "You're not stopping me and we really haven't spent much time together outside of school."

   "I guess not." I sucked on my milkshake. "I just feel like I've seen you so much and it's only ever us and maybe you want—"

   "Let me worry about what I want, okay?" he grinned.

   "Okay." I nodded and squeezed my cup. The conversation felt done. I could let it end there and it would be fine but there was something else that I needed to know. "Did you mean it?"

   "Mean what?" he asked turning to face me.

   "About..." I cleared my throat. "About homecoming."

   "Oh, that." He rests his hand on the steering wheel. "Well, knowing the situation last year I'm not sure that's appr—"

   "That's different." I interrupted. "I want you around."

   "Do you?" He met my eyes.

   "Yeah. I like when you're around. You're easy to be with."

   "Good to know." His smile softened. "Then, and I'm not going to be offended if you say no. would it be okay if I took you to the homecoming dance?"

   "I think it would be fun to go with you." My chest fluttered again and I could feel the heat in my cheeks.

   "I'd have to agree with you." He laughed. We both took a sip of our drinks and he leaned back in his chair.

   "I thought you were going to say no," he admitted.

   "Why would I bring it up again if it was going to be no."

   "Set a boundary?" he offered. "But also. I thought you and Ryan were a thing."

   "I already told you, he's my friend."

   "With the way he acts I kind of thought it was a secret relationship." He dropped his head to the side so that he could see me. "You don't seem the type to want people in your business."

   "Well, you'd be right about that." I pulled my legs up and crossed them underneath me and pulled out my phone to turn it back on. The second the screen came back on seven missed calls and fourteen messages popped up on my phone.

Ryan:

Im sorry

Please answer your phone

Keep an eye out, Pennet's back

Where are you

Are you okay

Are you mad at me

It's fine if you're mad at me but tell me you're home.

I'm going to you're house. If you're not there I'm going to kill Pennet.

I'm not gonna let him do this twice.

Almost there.

Are you inside?

   "We need to get to my house now." I turned my phone so Zack could see it.

   "Ten minutes ago it is." He turned the car on an carefully backed up. "Please put your seatbelt on."

   Zack whipped around corners on his way back down the road and onto the highway.