V

I frowned as I looked inside again. There was an intricate, fancy letter, which was unusual. The mailbox was usually filled with letters, white and simple, from Lord Jason, and Piper would get them herself. She wouldn't let me touch them, let alone see what he wrote.

But this was different. It definitely wasn't from her fiancé. I took it out and carefully opened the flap of the envelope and took out the letter, reading it.

It said:

Mrs. Gaea and family,

You've been invited to the royal event of the ball dance. It will be held in the royal palace on the date of Valentine's Day. Prince Perseus shall choose his bride during this event. It is recommended for every lady above eighteen and under twenty confront the prince at the foot of his throne.

Sincerely,

Luke Castellan

Royal Messenger of Crescendale

I felt my heart skip a beat. The ball? I've never been to the palace. What was it like to step in the enormous halls?

I walked back in the house and heard the clock bell chime nine o'clock. I rushed to the kitchen, having lost track of time. It was tea time already, and they were all waiting at the patio table.

I brewed the tea inside three cups, and shuffled along outside.

"Here's your tea, Lady Gaea," I said, rushing on my words.

"You're late," she replied as I set down the last cup for Drew.

"Yeah, were you wasting time trying to kiss a frog?" Drew said, slightly scrunching her face.

"No, actually. We have important mail," I said, and they all visibly leaned in to hear more.

I took the letter out of my pocket and handed it to Gaea, and she snatched it out of my hands. When she read it, she became more and more excited.

"Invited to the ball?" she muttered, and Drew squealed immaturely. She snatched it from her mother's grasp, and when she read it, she took out her fancy fan and started fluttering it on her face, battering her eyelashes and looking into space.

Gaea pretended not to see. "Oh, you're both the right age to meet the prince! Isn't it exciting?" she said. She seemed to forget that she was angry at me for being late for tea time.

"Mother, haven't you forgotten? I'm already engaged with Jason!"

"Then break up with him! Come on, dear sister. Who would you prefer? Lord Jason...or Prince Perseus?" Drew whispered at the last part and started staring dreamily into space. "He's just gorgeous..."

Piper just rolled her eyes. "I'm not like you, dear me. I love one person, and one person only. We are to be married in two weeks time, dear me! I'll just attend the ball and dance with Lord Jason," Piper said, and glanced at her nails. "Besides, dear Drew, if he chose me, there wouldn't be a chance for you to be with the prince. Am I not correct?"

"Thank you," Drew said, smiling. "Oh, but you are pretty. Prettier than most ladies, I have to admit! Even when you're dancing with your fiancé, the prince will still catch you." I knew Drew was only fishing for compliments by starting them herself. I knew what Piper was going to say.

"Drew, you know you're a lot prettier than me," Piper said, slightly laughing.

"Girls?" Gaea said, and they silenced. "Why don't we get ourselves a new dress? Once that would impress the prince. And Lord Jason, in your case, Piper."

I knew I wouldn't go with them. I knew Gaea would just let me go to the ball in rags.

But it didn't matter. I wasn't going.

I wasn't going to confront the prince again, after he left me that day.

❤︎

Author's Note:

Thank you for the votes. :)