Chapter 13 - Just a Taste

◐ ⚜ Elaina's POV ⚜ ◑

Elaina watched the scene unfold between her younger self and the two men. She sighed heavily when Erosvent took off. She remembered this all too well, this was the moment her eyes opened to the world around her. The world had been far grander then she had imagined, and she was nieve to the dangers it held.

"Shit!" Zeph cursed as he slouched against a nearby tree.

"Aren't you going-

Elaina in her slightly translucent form frowned as the scene around her suddenly froze mid sentance. Perplexed, she walked over to herself wondering what had happened. It was now eerily silent, not even the sounds of the leaves rustling in the wind or the chirps from crickets in the brush could be heard.

It was as though someone had hit the pause button on the memory, stopping it like it were a play. As she thought about it, it made sense that it would stop here since Eros wasn't anywhere near them. He didn't actually know what had happened here at this moment. But she did... could she use it to her advantage somehow? Was this an opening in his memory she could take advantage of as Ersiena suggested?

Her frown deepened. She was no dream walker or even a spirit user like Eros and Ava, how was she meant to do this? She didn't know the first thing about magic, or rather essence. Everyone else called it essence, magic was a fairy tale that performed miracles, and essence was the source of all power. Honestly, she couldn't tell the difference, the essence the people around her used looked like magic to her.

Think Elaina, Think! 

Recalling when she'd seen others use their abilities, she noticed that touch was likely a key element. Not always, but it was worth a try at the very least. Looking down at her slender hand she then looked up at her past self. She Reached forward as though to touch her own shoulder. however, on contact her hand disappeared within as though absorbed, instead of passing through like it had been before. Her eyes bulged. Trying to retrieve her hand she couldn't, it was as though she was stuck, or rather being drawn in. The sensation was bizarre, A chill ran through her as she felt as though pins and needles filled her hand that had disappeared with her own figure.

Taking a slow deep breath she held it and stepped into herself. This was going to be an interesting story to tell the others when this was over. Darkness engulfed her as she tried to embrace the odd feelings flowing through her body.

Blinking her eyes open she felt strange, looking down at her hands she saw them be corporal and solid, testing the movement she smiled. She was now in control of this version of herself within his memory.

Elaina's head whipped up, startled by the sudden voices that echoed around her

Elaina's head whipped up, startled by the sudden voices that echoed around her. She remained quiet and listened to the strange beings as they spoke as though she wasn't aware of them. It seemed they were aware of her presence, but not the fact that she could hear them was concerning, she'd needed to be careful when she tried to wake Eros up from this dream state moving forward. Had she slipped into more than just a body by doing this? Was she now in between his dream and their veil, as they called it? This felt all too surreal.